Uniden BCD436HP squelch tail

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Not new at scanning just new at the bcd436hp. I looked and haven't found anything regarding conventional squelch tail elimination. While trunking it works great and on digital systems. I noticed the tail exists on conventional analog channels even using a pl/ctcss code. Digital conventional p25 is fine. If I do a discovery and record the squelch tail eliminates in the recording playback most the time but not scanning normally. Is this something uniden will address in a firmware update or am I missing a setting? I'm aware one cam tighten the squelch which I have but nothing. Does upman know if they plan to address conventional squelch tail elimination in a update later if a setting doesn't exist? The scanner has been firmware updated to latest minus pro voice and any testing firmware for dmr. Those I plan to get here soon.

Last edited:

JoeyC

Is this something uniden will address in a firmware update or am I missing a setting?

No. People have been complaining about that for a decade in most all their scanners and it isn't even acknowledged as an issue.

Kelscan

Uniden Squelch Trail Fixed

On a 436 you can "loose" (on a conventional system) the trail by adjusting the squelch.
Press FUNC than push the power button down.
You will see the squelch level. Bring it up to at least 4.
Issue fixed.

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
I had this problem on my GRE P800 on 159.00 FMN, I changed it from narrow VHF to just VHF and the squelch tail went away.

SCPD

QRT
Buy a real radio, even a cheap TYT is better than a scanner for conventional systems monitoring. For home use $200 gets you a TH-9800 which is in effect two 26-950 mhz radios with CTCSS,DCS, 2/5 tone decode, etc.

Last edited:

lu81fitter

I used a Uniden 350C for years and learned to identify different departments by the squelch tail. My 15X eliminates some of them, so I'm getting more used to voice recognition. I could even tell if a department was using more than one repeater, and which repeater it was. I kinda miss squelch tails.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I case you did not know most 2 way shops leave the CTCSS transmitting the entire time the squelch tale is active. Some will turn this option off in the repeater and it only transmits the CTCSS tone while the input is active. This is what I used to do years ago on systems where the the portables would drop out in bad spots you would not turn off the CTCSS squelch tail because it was very annoying to the end users and if you were covering a smaller area you could turn off the CTCSS on the squelch tail.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
On a 436 you can "loose" (on a conventional system) the trail by adjusting the squelch.
Press FUNC than push the power button down.
You will see the squelch level. Bring it up to at least 4.
Issue fixed.

I second this. This is how I deal with squelch tail on my 396xt.

64larry

Premium Subscriber
Squelch tail elimination for Whistler scanners.

Guess my next desktop will be the whistler.

Whistler has eliminated the squelch tail from the CTCSS modes, but unfortunatly, the DCS has a long and very loud squelch tail....go figure! I'm hoping someone on here knows how to fix this issue!

Ubbe

I never hear any squelchtails on frequencies using DCS or CTCSS on my BCD536. Must be a 436 problem then? Could it be related to interferencies from the scanner itself, from the battery compartment? Can you test with an external antenna?

/Ubbe

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If configured correctly, it's not an issue with the 436, either. But the repeater has to drop the tone when the user unkeys, and the tone has to be programmed with the channel.

But if the repeater keeps the tone on after the user unkeys, there isn't much you can do to get rid of the tail.

64larry

Premium Subscriber
I have tried multiple tests on this. Nothing works. There are similar scanners like this one that do the same thing with the DCS squelch tail. On the PCR500 I was able to reduce this by the software I downloaded through starrsoft. I don't think Starrsoft has software for the 436.

nanZor

Whistler for clean CSQ squelch tail elimination hands down.

I own and use both Uniden, Whistler, and commercial Motorola gear for amateur / business use.

As mentioned above, for the widest operational clean STE, having the transmitter dropping the PL before the transmitter drops is the easiest and very very clean option for anything from scanners that handle PL, to a wide variety of commercial and amateur gear manufacturers.

Some commercial systems keep the PL active, but are using what's known as "Reverse Burst". Instead of dropping the PL before the transmitter dies, the PL's phase is flipped by 180 degrees for Motorola, and 120 degrees for Kenwood and others. If the commercial radio is programmed to accept "reverse burst", AND if it is set for the manufacturer's proper phase-flip, then that too is super super clean. You can see the operational problems if the system employs gear from multiple manufacturers. And, no scanner manufacturer currently has any capability of reverse-burst to my knowledge.

If squelch tails really bug you when listening to CSQ systems, then ADD a Whistler to your stable (not trying to be a fanboy, but give those who need it justification for another purchase! :) In my case that would be my simpler 1040 and 1065 units to supplement the Uniden 396xt and 996.

Guess what? The Whistler's dsp does an even better job on csq squelch tails than my Moto HT/MTX gear! So much so, that the ONLY radios I can sneak into my work area are either the Whistler, OR a Motorola that is listening only to systems that drop pl, or are using reverse burst. One nasty squelch tail, and I'll be kicked out of the control room. Sorry, but that means the Unidens stay at home.

But DCS, like mentioned above, is another story on the Whistlers! Hello squelch tails! Workaround: Unless I *actually need* DCS to seperate different groups of co-channel users, I'll just NOT USE any DCS, and program the channel for CSQ! I don't use PL or DCS to artificially cover noise. Thus, the Whistler's DSP in CSQ mode saves my sanity, and allows me to sneak it into the office.

This is especially important since I monitor local amateur 927 mhz repeaters, many of which use DCS. Since I don't really NEED DCS, I just program my Whistler for NO dcs, and all is nice and quiet and nobody at work complains.

Note that some systems that include a linked transmitter system of more than one repeater, may end up putting a squelch tail from other link gear into the link audio itself well before the PL drops, or reverse-burst flips, and there's nothing anyone can do except fix the link no matter what manufacturer you buy your radio gear from, be it scanner or commercial.

I can force the Whistler to fail if I really really try - like placing my 1040 a foot away from a dc-ac power inverter. Or 6 inches away from a video monitor. Don't do that.

So there you go - *add* a Whistler to your system for CSQ, or even for DCS if you don't really need it, and the shack will be more tolerable to workers, or family members. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

KV4BL

I never understood all the hoopla about eliminating squelch tails. I rather like them. They sound like real police radios from the 60's and 70's did.

Status
Not open for further replies.