New guy from VA

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsr30

Premium Subscriber
I'm a new totally guy to the whole scanner world, from Roanoke VA just bought a BCD325P2 so I could listen to transmissions from the surrounding area and when I travel. This world is new and deep, thank God for this forum and Freescan, that's the only way that I'm up and running.

QDP2012

Welcome to RadioReference and the scanning hobby dsr30,

In addition to what you find in the Forums, if you would like some more information about getting started, you might want to navigate to the RR Wiki Home Page and find, in its upper-right corner, a blue-ish box that contains "Links for Newcomers". Those articles can help fill-in any gaps you might have in the basics of scanning with today's generation of scanners, etc.

As always, feel free to post questions here or in a topic-specific Forum.

Edit: In the Wiki, articles are categorized based upon their content. As someone just starting out, you might find useful the articles in the Category:FAQ and Category:RR Glossary categories.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The good news is that you are starting with a "clean learning slate". Radio systems have changed over the years and so has the scanner programming methodology. Both are for the better.

You still got those two learning curves - how your system works and how to program your scanner.

You have the most important tools - programming software and an RR premium subscription service where you can download the "stuff" you need. Reduces both effort and error opportunities.

A good number of us went through the initial phase where things didn't go as we hoped. It takes time, patience and giving yourself permission to make a mistake in programming. The good news is that you cannot ruin your scanner with incorrect programming. You have the ability to go back to square 1 if worst comes to worst.

Most importantly: You can never save your files on your computer too often. Having your programming data backed-up is a good thing too.

You'll get there! Most of us started out knowing very little and eventually things sunk in.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to RadioReference. I'm a couple of hours away, just south of Harrisonburg. There's quite a few people in the forums from the Roanoke area that can offer you good assistance, if needed. Feel free to visit the Virginia forum and ask any questions. There's information about the Roanoke City/ County system and Virginia's STARS system.

There is also lot's of information on the BCD325 in the Uniden's forums, as well.

K4EET

Chaplain
Welcome to Radio Reference and the Wonderful World of Scanners. I used to live in Roanoke (over by Tanglewood Mall) before moving to Maryland. I really liked living in Roanoke!

73 (best wishes in Amateur Radio lingo), Dave K4EET

Status
Not open for further replies.