LAPD/USC DPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timsierramist

I often work in the area of the University of Southern California and would be interested in keeping up to tabs on local law enforcement and USC Department of Public Safety channels.

I often speak with a guard in the area who uses an XTS5000 to monitor these two channels, although it's a bit of a different model with an LCD screen.

I am curious if this radio would work to scan those channels. Thank you!

Motorola XTS 5000R H18QDC9PW5AN Radio | eBay

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
LAPD? If so, that radio you linked is the wrong "split" (the letter in the 4th spot of the model number). That is a "Q" split (380-470MHz), and the tuning range is too low to for LAPD. Look for an "S" split (450-512MHz) for LAPD joy. The only conventional DPS channel I see is an "Access" channel, likely for users not on the (trunking?) system. It's been a long time since I listened to anything `SC, so I am sure one of the other locals will chime in :)

I doubt you would hear much of the Campus Police on the Access channel, but guarantee you would hear more than you thought possible on the LAPD side with a proper radio :)

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
H18QDH9PW7AN
Would indicate Q= 380-470mhz
If it were H18SDH9PW7AN
Than that would indicate it is a S split radio which is 450-512mhz.
There are NO Q split XTS3000 or XTS3500 only R split which is 400mhz-470mhz,
There are however S split XTS3000s and XTS3500s.

Some useful information on radios especially Motorola, you can go here and decode model #
http://www.batlabs.com/astromob.html#model keep in mind that is for the older ASTRO line like ASTRO Saber and ASTRO Spectra. But it still gives you a general idea what the radio will have or could have.

Last edited:

Timsierramist

Hello.

I think I lucked out big time and found a used Motorola H09SDF9pw7bn thorough a private seller. Unless I'm listen, this radio is perfect for what I was looking for above to listen to DPS/LAPD Southwest division at work.

I think I'm going to jump on it. Worst case scenario, it's a fairly rare radio and I can always resale?

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
Hello.

I think I lucked out big time and found a used Motorola H09SDF9pw7bn thorough a private seller. Unless I'm listen, this radio is perfect for what I was looking for above to listen to DPS/LAPD Southwest division at work.

I think I'm going to jump on it. Worst case scenario, it's a fairly rare radio and I can always resale?

Hmm I think that is a xts3000.... Not worth as much as a xts5000! Get your self a xts2500 off eBay in s split Or a bcd396xt.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Timsierramist

I likely would, but I got such an exceptional deal for this radio I couldn't really pass it up. ;-)

jtech48

Premium Subscriber
FYI, USC DPS uses a LTR Passport system which currently is not monitor-able by any scanner, or passively monitored with a commercial radio since that system requires authentication from the radio to unmute

Timsierramist

Happy to report that I did end up purchasing a used XTS 3000. Not happy to report that I immediately started having problems with it.

As soon as I start the radio, it powers up for a split second and states "self test" then fades to a blank screen. The green LED remains next to the antennae stays on, illuminated a solid green.

I'm hoping the battery is at issue. Haven't had a chance to charge it yet. It seemed to work when I was shown it at purchase. I'm going to try charging it/swap it out and will report back. Really hoping this isn't a hardware issue as I'll be pretty screwed since this was a Craigslist purchase. :-0

I am indeed a bit of a green horn when it comes to this new radio hobby of mine. But this is how I learn best. Dive in and go.

jtech48

Premium Subscriber
Happy to report that I did end up purchasing a used XTS 3000. Not happy to report that I immediately started having problems with it.

As soon as I start the radio, it powers up for a split second and states "self test" then fades to a blank screen. The green LED remains next to the antennae stays on, illuminated a solid green.

I'm hoping the battery is at issue. Haven't had a chance to charge it yet. It seemed to work when I was shown it at purchase. I'm going to try charging it/swap it out and will report back. Really hoping this isn't a hardware issue as I'll be pretty screwed since this was a Craigslist purchase. :-0

I am indeed a bit of a green horn when it comes to this new radio hobby of mine. But this is how I learn best. Dive in and go.

It sounds like the radio is bricked or inhibited based off the symptoms your reporting

N8IAA

Now you know why you got such an exceptional deal:wink:
Money would have been better spent on a scanner.
Larry

Timsierramist

It works!!! Yippee!

I'm listening to Southwest Division as I speak. Really cool to understand what is going on, especially in my line of work in the area.

Turns out, the battery really was simply out of juice. I wasn't able to determine that because what didn't work was the base charger I got with the radio. I took the radio battery to work where we use XTS5000's and charged up the battery there, and used it successfully in a work radio.

Brought my battery back to my radio and now I'm set.

Thank you for all the tips, helpful information and useful info!

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
The XTS3K is great, even if long in the tooth. LAPD isn't going anywhere for awhile, so it should serve you well.

Nice to hear you got a deal. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.