Newbie Question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

espnty

Ok so I work for my Local Dept as a 911 Op and I was wanting to get a Scanner for my Car for on the way and leaving work to listen too. They just switched to MARCS which is Ohio Digital radio. I know I need a Digital but I was wanting to get advice for one that is not gonna break the Bank and would be easy to program or get programmed and One that does not Require a HUGE Antenna that would be on my Car.
Thanks

DPD1

No, you shouldn't need a a large antenna. I see they operate in 800, so you just need an antenna made for 800. And that shouldn't be very big. In fact, you can get a low profile one that's just a little can shape. On the radio... You have a lot of choices. Most aren't cheap, and most aren't easy to program for a beginner. But you can probably get help on here from people. Some of the new models might even have your system pre-programed... such as the Uniden Home Patrol model.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I recommend the Uniden Home Patrol 2 (very easy to program and operate), and is what I use for mobile monitoring of the Ohio MARCS-IP system. Depending on your location and the simulcast status a mobile antenna may not even be necessary. Digital scanners are not cheap, I would plan to spend around $400.

I use a Laird Phantom Antenna 760-870 MHz. on a mag mount on the inside rear deck which works very good. Since Columbus went to MARCS-IP their sites have a multipath distortion issue and sometimes even this setup is too much antenna.

Last edited:

espnty

I recommend the Uniden Home Patrol 2 (very easy to program and operate), and is what I use for mobile monitoring of the Ohio MARCS-IP system. Depending on your location and the simulcast status a mobile antenna may not even be necessary. Digital scanners are not cheap, I would plan to spend around $400.

I use a Laird Phantom Antenna 760-870 MHz. on a mag mount on the inside rear deck which works very good. Since Columbus went to MARCS-IP their sites have a multipath distortion issue and sometimes even this setup is too much antenna.

So i might do the home Patrol 2 and the Antenna you posted for the vehicle will work for the Homepatrol correct?

Nasby

You can get nicely used scanners for 150-200 right here in the Classified section.

All will work well on MARCS.

espnty

Aslo real quick on the home patrol. I think I need to buy the first one, Our Area does not do Phase 2 and never will. So i need a Mobile scanner too do phase 1.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
The HP-1 would work too as any digital scanner will. You can shop around for better used prices as well. I was just advising what I use. Antennas are frequency dependent, not for any particular radio. Any 760-870 MHz or similar antenna will work but I found the Laird to work very well for me and I travel all over the region.

Nasby

Richland County, I contacted our guys who do our Patrol cars and they said Phase 2 will never happen here to much for the area!

I don't know about "never" but I would agree that Phase II should not be a consideration when looking for a MARCS IP capable scanner.

And I do agree that Phase II is many, many years away (if ever).

Nasby

So in addition to the classifieds here, you might want to also check your local Craigslist ads for digital scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.