First antenna build & erection (the antenna that is)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowWalker

I am old, slow but not afraid to step out and try something new.

I was given a 20' vertical CB antenna from a Ham operator, but he feels he is a bit above helping to set up a lowly CB system, so this old fart is going to go it alone.

On my house I have an obsolete, metal vent pipe sticking up in the air that clears the peak of my low pitched roof. That means no roof interference. The antenna is 20.3333 feet My question is, does the antenna need to be completely insulated from the metal vent pipe/mast?

Secondly, does the antenna need to be grounded? My way of reasoning tells me that if the antenna is not grounding through the mast, any lightening blast ends up turning CB into an expensive toaster.

Third......Will a Galaxy DX 959 SSB work as a temp base station?

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
The antenna should be mounted to the metal mast using the antenna's mounting bracket. The mast should be connected to a ground rod and that ground rod connected to the main electrical system ground. See the NEC code 810 for additional information.
BB

Thayne

You ought to at least go into the attic and see if that pipe is mechanically sound; if it moves around due to wind blowing the antenna around the flashing may develop a leak; generally not a good practice to use plumbing for mounting antennas. It might not be grounded at all if it has PVC piping connected at the lower end.
What if you get blown off the commode or electrocuted while brushing your teeth during a thunderstorm---Your wife would kill you.

N8IAA

I am old, slow but not afraid to step out and try something new.

I was given a 20' vertical CB antenna from a Ham operator, but he feels he is a bit above helping to set up a lowly CB system, so this old fart is going to go it alone.

On my house I have an obsolete, metal vent pipe sticking up in the air that clears the peak of my low pitched roof. That means no roof interference. The antenna is 20.3333 feet My question is, does the antenna need to be completely insulated from the metal vent pipe/mast?

Secondly, does the antenna need to be grounded? My way of reasoning tells me that if the antenna is not grounding through the mast, any lightening blast ends up turning CB into an expensive toaster.

Third......Will a Galaxy DX 959 SSB work as a temp base station?

I used the vent pipe to attach at one point, a 102" whip on the roof of my house. Not problem. Took it down and put up a 1/2 wave 10m vertical antenna. Again, no problems. Does the vent pipe go all the way through the house?
And, yes, the mobile will work great as a temporary base.
I don't think that most of the posters realize that you are in Canada, and not the US when they quote NEC rules.
Larry

N8IAA

If there's a storm, the smart thing to do is remove the coax, and set it a short distance from the radio. That way no smoke gets let out:lol:
Larry

SnowWalker

I don't think that most of the posters realize that you are in Canada, and not the US when they quote NEC rules.
Larry

Actually, our NEC codes are not that far apart. The only difference between the US & Canada codes is the we are still required to use the old fashion 3 foot ground rod to ground everything. This is really enforced in our town because we are situated so high in the mountains where lightening is quite prevalent.

Thanks for the info guys. I am learning. I even ordered a ham radio home study course.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.