Mid-life crisis! Help needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Out1982

Hi folks. My interest in scanning was sparked as a young teenager as a friend of mine had both a scanner and a CB radio. In my late teens I joined the military and was finally making enough money to buy my own scanner if I so chose to. Ironically, owning a none official scanner on a military base seemed like a one way ticket to getting myself into trouble (I'm not sure whether it would have been legal or not) so I dropped the idea and moved on with life. But having left the military a few years back, the idea of owning a scanner has again popped into my head and I am keen to follow up on this interest I had to abandon back then. (Call it a mid-life crisis if you will). My problem is this; my knowledge of the subject is extremely limited. So I was hoping by joining this forum I could pick a few peoples brains and hopefully get a steer in the right direction. I guess firstly I should be worried about legalities. What am I legally allowed and not allowed to do /listen to with a scanner? Do I need a license to own and use one? (No doubt the rules on this will differ from country to country.) Secondly, what sort of scanner should I be considering as a newbie? I've seen a number of handheld scanners for sale online but they all seem to be overly cheap and of dubious origin. Although I suppose it could prove a less-costly outlay of cash just to test the water and see if the interest is there. But if I were to opt for a more substantial unit that I could install at home, what would be the advice of the majority in terms of make, model, new, second hand? And where should I be looking to source one? Would the classifieds section of this website be a good place to start? And I guess I'll also have to take into account the necessity for antenna, size location etc? Any advice would be hugely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ecps92

You might be better off, tracking down an Amateur Radio Club and asking those questions. I do know a few years ago when reaching out, to some South African Groups about Cruise Ships, the use of Monitoring Devices was a taboo topic.

Hi folks. My interest in scanning was sparked as a young teenager as a friend of mine had both a scanner and a CB radio. In my late teens I joined the military and was finally making enough money to buy my own scanner if I so chose to. Ironically, owning a none official scanner on a military base seemed like a one way ticket to getting myself into trouble (I'm not sure whether it would have been legal or not) so I dropped the idea and moved on with life. But having left the military a few years back, the idea of owning a scanner has again popped into my head and I am keen to follow up on this interest I had to abandon back then. (Call it a mid-life crisis if you will). My problem is this; my knowledge of the subject is extremely limited. So I was hoping by joining this forum I could pick a few peoples brains and hopefully get a steer in the right direction. I guess firstly I should be worried about legalities. What am I legally allowed and not allowed to do /listen to with a scanner? Do I need a license to own and use one? (No doubt the rules on this will differ from country to country.) Secondly, what sort of scanner should I be considering as a newbie? I've seen a number of handheld scanners for sale online but they all seem to be overly cheap and of dubious origin. Although I suppose it could prove a less-costly outlay of cash just to test the water and see if the interest is there. But if I were to opt for a more substantial unit that I could install at home, what would be the advice of the majority in terms of make, model, new, second hand? And where should I be looking to source one? Would the classifieds section of this website be a good place to start? And I guess I'll also have to take into account the necessity for antenna, size location etc? Any advice would be hugely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Out1982

You might be better off, tracking down an Amateur Radio Club and asking those questions. I do know a few years ago when reaching out, to some South African Groups about Cruise Ships, the use of Monitoring Devices was a taboo topic.

Thanks ecps92. That's a practical idea regarding my local laws etc. But what would you recommend equipment wise for a beginner?

N8IAA

We really can't recommend a scanner without knowing what frequencies and systems exist in South Africa. There is nothing in the RR database to provide an answer.
Sorry.
Larry

ecps92

Sadly, being in the US and having limited SA data access, I can only say, ... you do so at your own risk, based on different message boards etc

ie:
Hand held radio - AvCom

Best to seek out your local Amateur Radio Club and then ask, it could be old laws, ...YMMV... best of luck and do keep the board updated with what you find...
Thanks ecps92. That's a practical idea regarding my local laws etc. But what would you recommend equipment wise for a beginner?

QDP2012

Welcome to RadioReference Out1982,
My problem is this; my knowledge of the subject is extremely limited.

If you would like to read and learn more about scanning in-general, like specific technologies, terms, etc., you might consider reading some of the articles in the RadioReference Wiki.

If you navigate to the RR Wiki Main Page, you will find a blue-ish box in its upper-right corner which contains "Links for Newcomers". The linked-articles can be a good starting point for you just to get a general understanding of some of the technology in-use in the industry/hobby.

Once you are able to share here the names of the radio systems, and/or communities, that you want to monitor, others here might be able to give you more specific suggestions about what reading material(s) you might find useful.

Hope this helps,

Rred

The OP really needs to contact his national radio authority (in the US, that would be our FCC) to find out about any national restrictions. Then do some homework and find out if there are any state or municipal regulations that further restrict him. For instance, in some US states there are state laws prohibiting the use of scanners (in general) in motor vehicles, while the same equipment is allowed if it is handheld or home based.

A local physical radio store probably can also advise on these points, although even then the OP might want to CHECK THE LAWS by looking them up on the web or with the help of a local library staff.

Out1982

Hi folks. My interest in scanning was sparked as a young teenager as a friend of mine had both a scanner and a CB radio. In my late teens I joined the military and was finally making enough money to buy my own scanner if I so chose to. Ironically, owning a none official scanner on a military base seemed like a one way ticket to getting myself into trouble (I'm not sure whether it would have been legal or not) so I dropped the idea and moved on with life. But having left the military a few years back, the idea of owning a scanner has again popped into my head and I am keen to follow up on this interest I had to abandon back then. (Call it a mid-life crisis if you will). My problem is this; my knowledge of the subject is extremely limited. So I was hoping by joining this forum I could pick a few peoples brains and hopefully get a steer in the right direction. I guess firstly I should be worried about legalities. What am I legally allowed and not allowed to do /listen to with a scanner? Do I need a license to own and use one? (No doubt the rules on this will differ from country to country.) Secondly, what sort of scanner should I be considering as a newbie? I've seen a number of handhaled scanners for sale online but they all seem to be overly cheap and of dubious origin. Although I suppose it could prove a less-costly outlay of cash just to test the water and see if the interest is there. But if I were to opt for a more substantial unit that I could install at home, what would be the advice of the majority in terms of make, model, new, second hand? And where should I be looking to source one? Would the classifieds section of this website be a good place to start? And I guess I'll also have to take into account the necessity for antenna, size location etc? Any advice would be hugely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

We really can't recommend a scanner without knowing what frequencies and systems exist in South Africa. There is nothing in the RR database to provide an answer.
Sorry.
Larry

Sadly, being in the US and having limited SA data access, I can only say, ... you do so at your own risk, based on different message boards etc

ie:
Hand held radio - AvCom

Best to seek out your local Amateur Radio Club and then ask, it could be old laws, ...YMMV... best of luck and do keep the board updated with what you find...

Welcome to RadioReference Out1982,

If you would like to read and learn more about scanning in-general, like specific technologies, terms, etc., you might consider reading some of the articles in the RadioReference Wiki.

If you navigate to the RR Wiki Main Page, you will find a blue-ish box in its upper-right corner which contains "Links for Newcomers". The linked-articles can be a good starting point for you just to get a general understanding of some of the technology in-use in the industry/hobby.

Once you are able to share here the names of the radio systems, and/or communities, that you want to monitor, others here might be able to give you more specific suggestions about what reading material(s) you might find useful.

Hope this helps,

Thanks for the responses guys. I get the point now. I need to be looking at this as a country specific thing. I'll have a search for clubs and/or forums in this country and see how I get on. Many thanks for all your time and input.

ecps92

Also found these articles
Be carefull using airband scanner or SBS1er in South Africa (or better dont use it))
http://forums.radioreference.com/ai...ilty-using-scanner-receiver-south-africa.html
Two nabbed with police radio scanner | News | M&G

ie:
Hand held radio - AvCom

pnoelw

Help is on the way

Hi there! Don't give up. I have just returned to England after living in SA for 35 years. Since the late 90's I have owned the following receivers, none of which were technically legal in SA - Icom 7100, 8500, AR8000, NRD545 w vhf/uhf converter, Bearcat BCT15x, Kinetics sbs1-er, Funcube Dongle pro+ - and possibly a few others. Just before I left I was receiving MPT1327 trunking very successfully.

If you're new to the hobby, perhaps consider a receiver before getting a scanner. There aren't any reliable frequency databases for SA, but if you're in Joburg I can send you quite an extensive frequency list.

For most of my general scanning I used an Icom discone hooked up to a Stridsberg 4-port active multicoupler - to feed a number of radios. I also used a simple magnetic mount antenna on the guttering.

Recommendations will depend on where your interests lie - aviation, public service, marine, etc. and also your budget. There are very few choices in respect of buying 2nd hand (or even new) scanners in SA. but again I can point you in the right direction depending on your interests and budget.

If you'd like to drop me a line on pnoelw at yahoo dot com I'd be happy to point you in the right direction in terms of buying your equipment and sending you frequencies.

In terms of legality, I certainly wouldn't flaunt the fact that you have a vhf/uhf receiver, but if you keep yourself to yourself and don't record and playback communications then I'm sure you can stay under the radar.

DickH

... if you're in Joburg I can send you quite an extensive frequency list....

Why don't you submit it to the RR database? The RR database is developed by people like yourself submitting freqs.

pnoelw

Why don't you submit it to the RR database? The RR database is developed by people like yourself submitting freqs.

....because until now I lived in Johannesburg. And that is a good reason not to draw attention to oneself. But I'm quite happy to share by e-mail.

DickH

....because until now I lived in Johannesburg. And that is a good reason not to draw attention to oneself. But I'm quite happy to share by e-mail.

You're not there now.
e-mail reaches only one person. If you submit them to the RR database, we can all benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.