Ordered My First Radio Now What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony3d

Hi all, just ordered my first shortwave radio. Ordered a Satalite 750 from Ham Radio Outlet. I really know nothing about getting started, or how to begin listening. I do know that I use to love listening to my dads unit when I was a kid, so figured I'd give a try. Can you point me in the right direction to get stated successfully. Hope I picked a decent radio. I know there has been issues with the 750. Would like to hear from members who use the 750, and what things I may need to be aware of. I'm an electronics hobbiest, and thought this would be a nice complimentary hobby. Thanks.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I'm not familiar with the Satellite 750, but it looks like a decent rig.

You'll need some wire in the air... I started short wave listening with just 60 foot wire stretched out a second floor window and fastened to a nearby tree. Of course there are more elaborate SWL antennas, but a random length of wire served me well.

For searching for stations or, figuring out what you're listening to...... I use this site: Short-Wave Frequency Schedule for BBC in ENGLISH at 01:02GMT It allows you to search for stations by frequency, by language or by time. You can enter the frequency you're listening to and it will give you a list of stations currently broadcasting on that frequency.

Because it gives the languages, if there's a station broadcasting in a language you can't understand, you can usually narrow it down and identify it this way.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Tony, let's start with a basic question - precisely what is it you want to hear? HF is a very wide world, encompassing a huge number of interests. Mike

Comp-100

If you read the title of your message you will probably realize that the word "radio" can be quite ambiguous. Sounds like you just got your first SW Receiver. No point in discussing any shortcoming or potential issues with the particular model you bought since you've already bought it. Just use it and gain some knowledge otherwise we might as well be discussing UFOs.

I'm afraid SW listening these days is quite different than the old days the world has moved on, so you just need to sit down and do some reading and do some listening.

You should know the different designated bands their relationship to different activity you can find there pay attention when something is not where you expected. You should understand the different transitions modes and modulation methods. On shortwave of course you need to understand propagation, the different types, the general cycles, and when you can expect changes.

Google is your friend, you can find a lot to read.

This is a popular blog: The SWLing Post | shortwave radio and amateur radio enthusiasts sharing shortwave radio reviews, news, broadcasting, pirate radio, numbers stations, interviews, and much more

You may want to get a copy of the World Radio TV Handbook: WRTH Online

Certainly lots of stuff to read on here, about Utility Stations (slowing fading from existence) and other things to listen to. Most stations also have websites so you can quickly get information on them when you hear them.

The BBC does not blast to North America like in the good old days, but you can still find many preachers so try to keep your wits :)

Good luck, I hope you enjoy your new radio.... don't forget the ANTENNA.... and think twice about the ANTENNA

Tony3d

Tony, let's start with a basic question - precisely what is it you want to hear? HF is a very wide world, encompassing a huge number of interests. Mike

I'm interested in listening to the air traffic control, and BBC broadcasts. Really not sure what's left out there to listen to.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Sad to say, the BBC is a pale shadow of what it once was. Their services have been drastically cut back over the last few years.

There are many different sites with online schedule information - but you have to watch, because not all of them update their info in a timely manner. Schedules change frequently these days (used to be that the schedules would undergo major changes twice a year. Not anymore....). There are several of these listed in our wiki here (see section 7)

SWL Broadcast - The RadioReference Wiki

There is a Yahoo group that has a spreadsheet that incorporates these sites and many more...

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/swskeds/info

Finally, the DXLD Yahoo group run by Glenn Hauser has probably the most up-to-date listing of schedule changes anywhere, bar none...

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dxld/info

Now onto the bigger question - HF has many different types of broadcaster, everything from the huge powerhouses (which are gradually dying out), local broadcasters, hams, CBers, and the catch-all category known as utilities - which is pretty much anything else. Yes there are some military stuff here, but you will never ever hear the good stuff, which is often encrypted and sent out on secure means. Since you mentioned it, aviation has a very large presence here, both with voice and digital (which you can decode with software, some of it free)

But before you get into that, you need to understand how a signal gets from point a to you. The topic is known as propagation, and there's an excellent website (requires Flash player, by the way) that will give you a start in understanding this topic

Propagation Primer - Flash Movie by AE4RV

This can be a very complex topic - we don't understand it all yet- but you don't need to have a degree just to get the basics.

Enough for now, I think - I'm sure you have more questions, fire away...Mike

Tony3d

Ok, I don't have my new 750 yet, it arrives Monday. Don't laugh I do have a question. Looks like the simplist antenna connection it has is a wire, but it has a positive, and ground connection. I assume you connect a wire to the red connector, so what's the growing for? I do have a connector the you plug into an outlet that just taps the wall ground.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The red push-in terminal is indeed for a wire antenna, while the black one is for a ground. That is NOT the same thing as the screw that holds your plate to your socket on the wall. This is a very extensive topic in and of itself but your best bet, for simplicity's sake, is to connect that to a cold water pipe (yes, that's not exactly kosher, but let's keep it simple)

There are 2 jacks above that - one for the HF antenna, the other for the FM. Looks like the jacks are what is known as BNC connectors. This is important - make sure that antenna switch is in the external antenna position if you make a connection here.

Quite apart from any comments owners here might make, there's a Yahoo group dedicated to this radio - you're much more likely to find specific hints and kinks on this radio from owners and users here

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Satellit-750/info

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Unfortunately that connection will wind itself around every jack in your home. a Good RF ground (which is what we need here) has to be a short connection, not long...

There is a big difference between a good RF ground and an electrical ground (like what you would use in a 3 prong plug situation to prevent shock hazards). Like I said before this is a very extensive topic that requires a good deal of discussion - much more so than we have room for here. It will do in a pinch, but I wouldn't depend on it...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.