Analog handheld for Air and older systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd8azk

Greetings, I currently am looking for a recommendation on a handheld analog scanner. I have a 436HP that I do all my digital listening on but want another for air and older analog systems here locally. Any recommendations? Could be an old model off ebay or new one also. Thanks in advance!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you need analog trunking, and want to stay with older models, the Uniden BC296 has a great rep here. I understand it's quite good with air and military, too

And there's still a fair amount of software support for it...Mike

Valeriy

Greetings, I currently am looking for a recommendation on a handheld analog scanner. I have a 436HP that I do all my digital listening on but want another for air and older analog systems here locally. Any recommendations? Could be an old model off ebay or new one also. Thanks in advance!

IMHO there is no reason not to use the BCD436HP also for Air Band listening.
I have one too, and it can hold thousand of channels in its memory, thus its easier to program many analog systems in it.
Moreover, it has the recording function built-in (I use it heavily).
Consider also that an analog scanner has not as much memory as the 436, and cannot record the audio on the internal microSD.
I have a UBC125XLT too (the European version of the BC125AT), but it can hold only up to 500 channels in its memory and, in order to record the audio of any channel, separately from the other channels in monitoring, it is needed to feed the audio from the scanner to a PC running a software like Scan125, thus it would be impossible to use it as a handheld...:)
Regards.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Analog scanning

I second the BC125AT for a current model. Some of the older GRE radios had very good analog, especially on the VHF frequencies. My favorite radio for airshows is my Pro-106 because the bank system makes it easy to turn things on and off quickly with minimal keystrokes and is less confusing than the "Quick Key" setup.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I also recommend the BC125AT; I don't own one but programmed and tested 2 separate units for other people.

If you can live with 6 character alpha tags and no numeric keypad, then I'd also recommend the Icom R6. Very good VHF/UHF airband ears, stealth size, and long battery life on 2 AAs. It's my main on-the-go radio for analog PS and all airband.

WQPW689

I concur with the BC-125AT. Programming software is free from Uniden also.

Since you're not adverse to used, I can also recommend the Radio Shack Pro 649. Picked one up new for 49 bucks when RS was clearing out inventory during the bankruptcy thing, but that's long over, so I wouldn't seek one out retail now. Works great for me on airband.

Software isn't free, Butel has it for $20. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.