I'm looking for some suggestions on buying my first scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc0bus

Hi,
I'm thinking of possibly getting my first scanner and could use some suggestions. I'd like one that is simple and easy to use since I'm a beginner. I might like one that is easy to program by a PC and a USB cable and some software. I also need it to not be deaf on the following bands because these are the main bands I'll be listening on:
-Citizens Band AM (CB radio band, and SSB would be nice too if possible)
-2-meters (146MHz) FM VHF ham band
-70-centimeters (440MHz) FM UHF ham band
-all the usual police frequencies
Thanks

Last edited:

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Guess I'd recommend the BC125AT. It does well on Public Safety VHF/UHF so I imagine it would do well on the HAM bands. Maybe some others could chime in about CB as I never listen to CB. It's pretty easy programming via PC or by keypad. I would also recommend getting a RH77CA antenna. The stock duck isn't too awful, but in my case the RH77 and the 125AT work well together.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Guess I'd recommend the BC125AT. It does well on Public Safety VHF/UHF so I imagine it would do well on the HAM bands. Maybe some others could chime in about CB as I never listen to CB. It's pretty easy programming via PC or by keypad. I would also recommend getting a RH77CA antenna. The stock duck isn't too awful, but in my case the RH77 and the 125AT work well together.
The BC125AT should work well on the ham bands. The RH77CA antenna would be better for CB than the stock, but the lack of a large enough antenna makes CB frequencies hit or miss on a handheld scanner. If using it in, say, your vehicle, you'd likely hear strong & close signals, but not the weaker or more distant ones. It would not, however, do SSB.

However, the BC125AT would not be of much help for the police frequencies in the OP's area.
Hi,
I'm thinking of possibly getting my first scanner and could use some suggestions. I'd like one that is simple and easy to use since I'm a beginner. I might like one that is easy to program by a PC and a USB cable and some software. I also need it to not be deaf on the following bands because these are the main bands I'll be listening on:
-Citizens Band AM (CB radio band, and SSB would be nice too if possible)
-2-meters (146MHz) FM VHF ham band
-70-centimeters (440MHz) FM UHF ham band
-all the usual police frequencies
Thanks
kc0bus,

Based on the address linked to your call sign, you are in Clay County, Missouri. Much of the public safety radio traffic in your area (Police, Fire, and EMS) is on digital trunked systems such as this one: Kansas City Metro - Metropolitan Area Regional Radio System (MARRS) Trunking System, Kansas City Metro Area, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

In addition, there is a statewide system, MOSWIN.

These are digital, and trunked, systems. The BC125AT, while a useful radio for some of what interests you, is not capable of receiving digital systems, nor is it capable of following trunked systems. It also does not cover the bands the two systems mentioned used.

For 'everyday' listening to the ham frequencies mentioned, and for CB, the 125AT would be a workable choice. But if you also want to listen to public safety, you would need to either listen to an online feed, if there is one that covers your area, or buy a digital scanner. Digital scanners are much more expensive, though you may well be able to find a gently used one in good condition, at a substantial discount either in the classifieds here on RadioReference, or other online sites such as eBay. Occasionally, you may find one in a local pawn shop, or even a yard or estate sale.

For more area specific recommendations regarding a digital scanner, you might wish to have your thread moved to the Missouri Regional Forum. If so, click on the red triangle in the upper right corner of your initial post & submit a request. Please do not start an additional thread, on the same subject, in the Missouri Forum, as that is considered cross-posting and against the forum rules.

The Uniden Home Patrol series, as others have mentioned, is a good listening choice for a scanner, and would cover the bands you list as well as public safety. But there are other models as well.

gonefishn1

Yes. Both do and so very easy to use and set up.
put in your Zip Code and turn on the services you want to hear. You can be listening in less than 3 minutes. You can PM me if you have more questions or want more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.