996p2 program change? Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Thank you for your help, I have a 996p2 purchased new and programed by seller in Ohio about a year ago, so I know nothing! Day one I set the safe key so I could not accidentally change anything. I has performed flawlessly up until today, the displays now show a ID number whereas they use to show name of broadcaster. How do I change it back? Thanks, Richard

wtp

first thought

when the radio was scanning before did it scroll ID SEARCH or ID SCAN ?
my first thought was it was on id search and everything was labeled.
but now there might be a new talkgroup, or even the talkgroups were renumbered.
so, are there some new numbers or are all of them different.

kmi8dy

i have a bcd996p2 and this is how you switch back and forth between " id number " and " name of broadcaster. this might not work since you " froze " the programming of the scanner, but here goes: turn scanner on, wait for it to start scanning, push function button once, turn the large knob, do not push, counter clock wise one notch, highlight should be on "settings". this time push in the large knob once. "set backlight" should be highlighted at this time. turn knob counter clockwise two notches. highlight should be on "disp., unit id". push large button once, you have two selections on and off select off by turning large knob clockwise until highlite is on " off ". push large knob once, turn radio off, turn back on. done. imm hopeing that when you froze the scanner, the explanation beside the button, was not in red ink. if it was you have frozen the scanner for eternaty, it can not be reversed.

SCPD

QRT
I cant remember. I set the safe key when I got it so it would not be changed. I have never touched any thing but the on/off. So it worked perfectly for a year, then all of a sudden one day started showing numbers instead of name. I have messed with it but have learned to actually hate it. I have packed it up and am sending it back to get reprogrammed. When I get it back Ill sell it, its worse than a wife to me. Thanks for your input. Richard

wtp

WAIT

if the data base is not up to date, you would send your radio in and get it back and it would do the same thing
think of the numbers for the groups as half an equation .
so talk group 1234 = police dispatch
that is how your radio does it.
but if they were changed to 5678 you would only see 5678
listen to the radio and try to figure if it is still the one you want.
oh, and the data here in RR was all submitted by locals.
you might have to be the one to update it.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I would add that if you really want to sell it, is there a need to pay to have it sent back/programmed? Just a thought. There are "for sale" threads here on RR. These newer scanners are pretty complicated for novices...myself included. If you want to keep the scanner and learn a little about it, there are many guys here ready to help you. Greg

kmi8dy

you know, theirs allot of people here that have tried to help you, but when you refuse to listen to us, why did you come here in the first place? sir, the radio is not broken, you are.

SCPD

QRT
I sent it back in, had it reprogrammed for 65 bucks total. Still doing same thing. the SafeTY Indiana broadcast show ID numbers only others ok........SO......I bought A AOR AR5000a+3u to go in my shack. The BearCat is outta here, Ill list it on Ebay. I have A LOT of radio gear but 996p2 its **** and does not deserve to be around it. Anyway, its new, with box and all cables if anyone one wants it. My email is good on QRZ. I'm glade to be over it! One Stop Radio in Ohio is a loser, don't waste your money. 73, RAC

SCPD

QRT
Thanks for the long post and attempt to help me...which Im pretty much past. I really do appreciate the effort you made to help me out. I did so that but only picks up broadcast while in the search ID mode, in scan ID it never finds a broadcast. 73, Richard W9RAC

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I'm, confused. Isn't this the place we come to for help? (Rhetorical Question)

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Maybe im wrong and don't understand his question but would'nt "F+6 change how he reads the screen, you have 3 options what he was looking for is one of them......

Status
Not open for further replies.