Suggestions For Putting Up An Outside Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneBadUukha

I recently picked up a Uniden BCT15X scanner. Things are going pretty well. I'd like to build an outside antenna to increase the range and quality of reception.

I understand this involves a number of planning considerations. Can anyone recommend a good strategy or some products to get me started on my research? Thanks!

teufler

Not knowing what your residence looks like, supporting structures, the terrain around you house, its hard to tell. If you have a chimney, a bracket can use that , that you can get an external antenna up. Low band would work, with your terrain not hampering you too much. Vhf, terrain starts to kill you, uhf and 800 mhz, are tough. Even a 100 ft tower, if you got hills around you, you got troubles. With increased height, you could get increased interference. A minor structure, will give you the county you live in, and you should get the state frequencies. Cost, say, $200-$250, that includes the outside antenna, coax, the structure to put it on. Maybe that figure is high, you could use rg-8x coax instead of rg-8 sized coax, a smaller bracket or pole top mount an antenna on, and there are many different scanner antennas that are cheaper. An outside antenna will make signals clearer, so you don't have to get too exotic.DPD Productions - Base & Mobile Antennas for Radio Scanners: VHF, UHF, NOAA, Low-Band, 700 MHz, Police, Fire, Public Safety
This site has many different scanner antennas ,

Status
Not open for further replies.