Newbie questions on Homepatrol series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

russ498

I am a retired police officer, and would now like to hear you the radio from the other end. I was looking at the home patrol series. I know next to nothing about radios or this technology.

What is the difference between the home patrol 1 and home patrol 2? The one feature they show is that the scanner can change frequencies as you change locations. I see that there is an add on cable package to accomplish this. Does this require a standalone GPS, or can it be tied into my car's GPS? If it requires a standalone GPS, what is the cheapest one that would work.

Thanks so much for the assistance.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am a retired police officer, and would now like to hear you the radio from the other end. I was looking at the home patrol series. I know next to nothing about radios or this technology.

What is the difference between the home patrol 1 and home patrol 2? The one feature they show is that the scanner can change frequencies as you change locations. I see that there is an add on cable package to accomplish this. Does this require a standalone GPS, or can it be tied into my car's GPS? If it requires a standalone GPS, what is the cheapest one that would work.

Thanks so much for the assistance.
The primary difference between the HP-1 & HP-2 is that the HP-2 can decode and track conversations on a P25 Phase II trunked system. That's the latest P25 system in use, and a number of agencies are migrating to that when upgrading. While the HP-1 will also decode P25 digital, it can only track P25 Phase I trunked systems. Both scanners can handle the older analog, as well as digital (P25) conventional (non-trunked) channels. The HP-1 has a silver front, and the HP-2 has a black faceplate. Other than that, operation of the two scanners is the same. Both have a large, multi-colored, touch display, which by far is the best of any of the current available scanners.

Your state's system, FIRST, is a Phase II system, so if you wanted to be able to listen to it, you should get a Phase II capable scanner to do so. the HP-2 can do that, and there are other scanners from Uniden as well as Whistler that are Phase II ready.

Both the HP-1 & HP-2 can be programmed by entering your location, either by city, zip code, or actual latitude & longitude. Or, you can use a GPS unit. Uniden's can be found on Amazon and elsewhere, and includes everything you need.

See this Wiki article for more on GPS, and also some units that should work, besides just the kit Uniden has.
Uniden Scanner GPS Features - The RadioReference Wiki

The scanner requires a serial output format of location information. I have not seen many comments about someone successfully using their vehicles onboard GPS. These might not have the correct data format, or you might be unable to access it.

Using a compatible GPS, you select the Service Types for frequenccies & trunked system talkgroups that you want to listen to. Update the database in your scanner using the Sentinel software for the scanner. Then, plug in the GPS, connecting it to the scanner as well as power. Now, as you drive, the scanner will turn systems on as you come into range of them, and turn them off as you pass out of range. It works well.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I agree with the above.

GPS connection is optional. You won't need one to begin scanning. If you do a lot of traveling and listen to a scanner along the way, a GPS is a helpful option. The GPS device feeds location information to your scanner. The scanner makes "internal adjustments" so that you'll hear "radio stuff" pertinent to where you are at the present time.

russ498

Thanks. That is exactly the info I needed. I do want to use it mobil since I do a lot of driving in my current job and cross over many different jurisdictions.

russ498

If I am understanding this correctly, is it true that the bundle that includes the GPS package is ready to go as delivered?? I equate the GPS as being a mobile unit with a screen. It looks like the bundle package just has a receiver of some type without a screen.

This is the item I was looking at through Amazon. Will I need anything else to use it in my car and have it automatically select the area that I am in?

https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-HomeP...TF8&qid=1478007029&sr=8-5&keywords=homepatrol

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
If I am understanding this correctly, is it true that the bundle that includes the GPS package is ready to go as delivered?? I equate the GPS as being a mobile unit with a screen. It looks like the bundle package just has a receiver of some type without a screen.

This is the item I was looking at through Amazon. Will I need anything else to use it in my car and have it automatically select the area that I am in?

https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-HomeP...TF8&qid=1478007029&sr=8-5&keywords=homepatrol
The two items, the GPS and the HP-2, are maybe 5-6 bucks cheaper if ordered individually. But that combo you linked has most everying you need.

The HP-2 uses 4 rechargeable batteries, which are included. Most of the members here, including myself, use an external battery charger and have several sets of batteries, although, with the correct adapter, you can charge the batteries in the scanner, as well as listen at the same time. The scanner does not come with an ac or dc adapter. However, it can use a USB type adapter, like used for many cellphones and tablets. You can get a 12VDC->USB adapter to plug in your vehicle's lighter socket.

Depending on your terrain when using mobile, you may also, at some point, consider a different, perhaps external antenna, for the scanner for improved reception. But you can always start with the antenna that comes with scanner & see how that works for you.

russ498

Thanks. I have a ton of Eneloop rechargeables as well as four or five Nimh chargers. I probably will get a car cord so I don't have to fool with battery there.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Have batteries in the scanner even when plugged into external power. Depowering the scanner while a write to the card is in progress can corrupt the card, so you want batteries as a backup power source if the power cord gets bumped or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.