Chromebook compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugerSmith

Still learning the "new" scanner technology. I see that a Mac cannot be used for Ezscan or Sentinel, but how about a Chromebook? Or is it simply Windows only?

Thanks

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
Still learning the "new" scanner technology. I see that a Mac cannot be used for Ezscan or Sentinel, but how about a Chromebook? Or is it simply Windows only?

Thanks

I believe both are Windows only applications. You can use the Mac if you put Windows on it. The Chromebook is a browser only product. At best you can run Android apps on it, maybe, but not Windows.

br0adband

Worse comes to worse you could always use a tool like VirtualBox to run a virtual machine running Windows and make limited use of EZ Scan when needed - you could even just use the trial version of Windows Enterprise (depending on the version it could last 90 to 120 days, and that can be extended with a simple command or two in a Command Prompt). Not the prettiest solution no but it's a possible option if absolutely needed. The older (and what I'd recommend personally) Windows 7 Enterprise installation ISO is still available but you won't find any info from Microsoft about it - if you need the link(s) to either the x86 or x64 version I have 'em - just the links, not the ISOs as you'd be downloading them from Microsoft directly.

While Chromebooks do offer some useful features like long battery life, their limited nature of not running an actual desktop OS like Windows which has so much support because it's the most popular desktop computer operating system ever can be a crippling aspect in many situations, especially with respect to our hobby.

KI7HYI

Thanks

Since Apple's run Unix and Chrome is a Linux distro, it is highly unlikely that a Chromebook would run anything that a Mac cannot. Since I have abandoned MIcrosoft, that is about all I can tell you. I haven't found anything important that doesn't have a Apple or Linux app to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.