Realistic Weatheradio Kube - Need Schematic

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioMitch

Hi Everyone!

Forum noobi, so please forgive me in advance. This isn't a scanner question, but I don't know where else to post this. Moderators, please move this thread if needed.

I have a Realistic Weatheradio Kube from the seventies or early eighties. Model number 12-181. And yes, they spelled it Weatheradio and Kube. This was old school Radio Shack prior to the advent of cellphones.

Almost finished recapping/restoring this little guy, but forgot to take good photos of the circuit board before starting. Got one wire disconnected and have no idea where it goes. I have a hunch, but can't be absolutely certain.

What I need is a schematic or photo of an unmolested circuit board, (solder side). There is a schematic the size of a postage stamp inside, which doesn't help at all.

This is one of many radios which I restore and resell at hamfests or flea markets. I take a lot of pride in offering carefully restored equipment at reasonable prices. You won't find any junk radios at my table!

Can anyone help me out here? It's one of those jumper wires to pick up power from one side of the board to the other.

Thanks in advance,
Mitch

K7MH

Premium Subscriber
Email me at K7MH@comcast.net and I can get a couple pics of the board to you. I have just a few of those Kube radios around here!!

Attachments

• Deskubes.jpg
    Deskubes.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 794

RadioMitch

K7MH - Thank you very much for your assistance. It is deeply appreciated.
My apologies for not replying sooner. The holidays and some family issues got in the way.

Nice herd of KUBES. ! I have a few as well.
icon7.gif

o8xbit.jpg

Notice the Radio with WTOP on top? It's identical to the radio on the left. Made by Sony and stamped with the
same model number. Best i can tell, Sony made these radios for a special promotional giveaway by WTOP.
(1500 AM in Washington, D.C.) Don't think it can be tuned to another station. hahaha.

Here is the bottom of the WeatherKube circuit board. I've circled the disconnected end of the wire.
rlgd40.jpg

If you could post a photo of yours here, that would be most helpful.
Would be good to have a reference for anyone in the future who needs the same information.

RadioMitch

K7MH

Premium Subscriber
My PC board doesn't look the same as yours. Same model number but maybe there were revisions to the board.

Attachments

• 100_1899.jpg
    100_1899.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 628

K7MH

Premium Subscriber
Here is a pic of another one I have. It reads 181A on the board so there are probably variations in the model or perhaps some boards were done by different companies.
You might try scanning the little schematic at a high resolution and see if you can read it better if it is larger or try a magnifying glass.

Attachments

• 100_1904.jpg
    100_1904.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 624

RadioMitch

K7MH,

I really appreciate your help and insight. You're spot on about the revisions.
I'd bet RadioShack had several suppliers for this radio. Whoever gave them
the best price at the time. Excellent pictures by the way.

The schematic is readable, but barely. Even under a 10X loupe its a struggle.
Guess I'll fire this up and touch the wire to the most logical spot.
Hope I can do this without blowing a transistor.

Now if I could get a moderator to change the title of this thread to what it's
supposed to be Realistic Weatheradio Kube, not Weatherstrip.
Curse that annoying autocorrect! Makes me look stupid. hahaha.

Mitch

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Now if I could get a moderator to change the title of this thread to what it's
supposed to be Realistic Weatheradio Kube, not Weatherstrip.
Curse that annoying autocorrect! Makes me look stupid. hahaha.

Mitch

The proper way to accomplish that would be to "Report" the post (the red triangle in the upper right of the post). But I did it when I approved your last post. :wink:

PACNWDude

Still use an old FM Deskube myself. Once tuned to a station, just press the large button to turn it on. Schematic has been torn off of mine, see remnants of it and the foam for the battery. I found mine in a bargain bin at a community garage sale a while back. Like the old analog dial tuning radio gear.

Good luck on your repair.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
In think i still have one of these Kube weather radios my brother in law gave me he was an Ham and was always giving me stuff if i can find it i will send you a photo of the board,i do have one of the newer one of the kube its red and has an big black button on the top good luck on you project......

RadioMitch

Thank you Chris for changing the title so I don't appear dumb and the tip on how to make a correction. I thought there was some way to edit a post without intervention. Guess not?

Been working on the other 'kubes'. Biggest issue is the battery contacts in the two Sony radios. Have to remove the springs, soak them in a vinegar/salt solution to clean these up, followed by a wire brush. So far, the green corrosion hasn't penetrated the chrome plating by much.

The FM deskube is done. That wasn't too hard to tackle. Recap, clean the volume control with some isopropyl alcohol, then clean and polish the cabinet. Didn't have to touch the alignment. The cheap Americana AM radio was restored last year. The timekubes will certainly be the most challenging from what I see presently, even though I haven't looked inside.

Do any of you fellows recall modifying a weatherkube project from the eighties where you could retune these for monitoring two meter repeaters? I'm pretty sure it was printed in QST. Think all you had to do was increase the inductor for the LO or add a small capacitor in the same circuit to lower the frequency to 2 meters. Gotta wonder if there was a picture of the circuit board in the article????

If the foam padding is gone, not hard to replace. Get a small piece at a fabric shop, something the size of a shoe will make for many replacements. Most any size piece of scrap foam will do. Use a NEW single sided razor blade and cut to size. They start to go dull after cutting a few rectangular pieces of foam. Sometimes you can do this with a sharp pair of scissors, but the scissors do a sloppy job unless you can develop the right touch.

When gluing the new foam in place, apply Elmer's glue to the battery compartment surface only, NOT to the foam. If you do, the foam sucks up too much glue and loses it's cushion.

Thanks for all the responses everybody. You guys ROCK!

I'll try to post more pics in a day or so.

Mitch

scanner1

I have a weather cube, by realistic, model 12-164a. I just finished recapping, and am having a hard time tuning up. I am very close to a WX transmitter, however reception is terrible. Anyone have service manual or hints on how to tune up??

Thanks.

dbruno123

Hi,

I'm new around here, This looks like an old post but I'm going to ask anyway. Any chance you guys could post a few pics of the front side circuit board with the components? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.