New to this and need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgraves57

My daughter lives in California and I'd like to purchase a portable ham radio for her she could use in the event of any type of incident that shuts down cell towers. What portable ham radio would you recommend that would allow her to reach another ham operator to relay a message to us in STL that she's okay?

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
There is another post on here about amateur radio operators not answering to unlicensed users. All users of amateur radio must be licensed. Licensing is not too hard and it teaches one how to operate a radio properly within the amateur bands. It isn't as simple as pushing a PTT and hoping someone will hear you. Thus, she should attend or contact amateur radio clubs in her area to see if there are classes coming up. You don't drive an automobile without taking lessons and this is no different for proper use of amateur radios and other radios.

Encouraging proper use of two-way radio spectrum including CB.

ab3a

I wish things were that easy. Setting up a ham radio station is not trivial. If it was just an issue of the radio itself, I'd think a bit differently. However, the antenna is an extremely important part of the system.

Knowing how that antenna works, how the radio waves propagate through the upper layers of the atmosphere, how to set up emergency power systems, and communicate on reasonable channels is not trivial.

In other words, if she has a license, that's one thing. If she doesn't, then sending her a radio isn't going to help.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Assuming she is not already a ham, I would recommend a satellite phone. It doesn't rely on local infrastructure, is much, much simpler to use and is much more portable than the ham radio gear, power source and antenna needed to do what you want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.