Need to buy a pair of 2 way radio for personal use for family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiodude34

Hi all

I love to communicate over the radio. Looking to buy a pair of 2 way radio for personal family use. When around house or in mall. I am currently living in Gulf Oman ( Middle East )

Can I use buy a UHF based set. I found a cheap one on aliexpress.com

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Zas...kie-Talkies-Mini-Two-Way-Ham/32741867888.html

Would this cause some problem with the local authority if I decide to import it.

Any other way I can use radio which would be permitted ?

Hope some one can advise.

Thanks !

kc2kth

The first thing to came to mind was what is available closer to where you are? You're right next door to UAE which makes me first think of Jackys Electronics. However I don't see any radio gear on their page (they used to carry a car stereo by Sony that received SW which is how I know about them here in the US). I can't imagine you wouldn't run into some sort of annoying issues importing something to Oman from the US, or even exporting it out of the US to start with.

bharvey2

Hi all

I love to communicate over the radio. Looking to buy a pair of 2 way radio for personal family use. When around house or in mall. I am currently living in Gulf Oman ( Middle East )

Can I use buy a UHF based set. I found a cheap one on aliexpress.com

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Zas...kie-Talkies-Mini-Two-Way-Ham/32741867888.html

Would this cause some problem with the local authority if I decide to import it.

Any other way I can use radio which would be permitted ?

Hope some one can advise.

Thanks !

I year or so ago (maybe more) I was chatting with a guy that was trying to set up a radio for use in the middle east. According to him, many of the items I suggested were not permitted to be imported into his locale. I can't confirm whether that was true or not be he was quite certain it was the case. I'm not sure where he got his information. I would definitely look in to it if I were you. If you're a foreign national perhaps an embassy could be of help. If you're a local, perhaps the local police or attorney?

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I actually own four of those little UHF radios, although different vendor names on them (WLN and Luiton).

They are sixteen channel radios capable of being programmed anywhere from 400 MHz to 470 MHz, which in the U.S. includes business, law enforcement, amateur, FRS, and GMRS bands.

Whether Oman would allow them to be imported and used there is a question that no one here can possibly answer.

Rred

dude-
In case you think folks are a bit paranoid about "what is legal"... In some places it is no big deal. In other places, like China (where oddly enough so many of those radios come from) if a foreigner is found in possession of a radio transceiver without a proper Chinese license for it? They can often be arrested on the spot for espionage.
So checking with the authorities, and making sure they know you want to know about what a foreigner can legally use, can be very important.

Status
Not open for further replies.