A new member cometh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steamed_Hams

Hey everyone! I'm a brand new SWL-er with a brand new radio for SWLing! I was lurking on this forum before purchasing my radio and I thought, now that I'm "official," I'd sign up for an account and introduce myself!

As I was saying, I recently got my hands on a Grundig Satellit 750; it seemed like a pretty decent receiver for a newbie, quite "accessible" to use, and honestly I was kind of a sucker for its design. (In fact, I got it through Universal Radio, who are running a deal right now and they threw in an Eton Mini for free!) I've played around with the 750 quite a bit since getting it, and I'm quite happy with my purchase! For the most part it's pretty easy to use and it sounds great, though I've only used it a couple of places indoors so far so it feels like I haven't really "opened it up" like I really could/should. But there will be time for that yet, and I definitely look forward to it! (As for the Mini: I've only played with it a little bit, though I can say it sounds pretty good too! However, it is almost dangerously lightweight, so be careful with that.)

As for other stuff, well...I was briefly a communications technician in Civil Air Patrol years back. I was off at college then, though, so I could never do too much with it and eventually let my membership lapse. But sometimes I think about going back in, or maybe even joining the VDF, just as something to do in my free time. I also have experience in broadcast radio, in both a college station and a small local station. I can't say either of those really left me with a lot of technical knowledge, though, so I really am starting this radio thing as a beginner!

As for other-er stuff, I have some other hobbies/interests and a job, but I think my introduction's gone on long enough. (You guys can probably tell I enjoy HTML/message formatting, though!) I look forward to learning from/about you all and talking with you some more across the forums! :)

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the forums. You unfortunately have picked a poor time to start the SWL hobby, as we are currently on the downward side of Solar Cycle 24, which wasn't great even at its peak:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cycle_24

That said, there's still still stuff on the SWL bands to listen to. Here's a useful tool to help figure out what in the heck you're hearing when you do find something (you can search for more than just the BBC):

Short-Wave Radio Frequency Schedule for BBC in ENGLISH

I don't have a Satellit 750, but if it can handle some antenna you can greatly improve your reception of weaker stations with a good wire antenna. Something like the Par End Fed EF-SWL:

PAR Electronics EF-SWL Antenna Product Reviews

There's some forums here at RR devoted to the SWL topic as well:

https://forums.radioreference.com/shortwave-broadcast/

Happy SWLing!

Steamed_Hams

Thank you for the welcome, Sparklehorse! Sorry to hear that I joined the hobby at such an inopportune time, but I think I'll learn to make do.

Short-wave.info is good, though I've found myself using ShortwaveSchedule.com much more. Also, I had been looking at the Par EF-SWL antenna ever since I read the SWLing Post's review of it; funny you should mention it. :) I'm thinking of picking one up in the future - especially at that price! - but for now I'm thinking of building my own antenna! I've seen some pretty good instructions online, including some in this RR thread. One of my good friends did a hitch in the Navy as an electrician's mate and is currently studying electrical engineering, and I think he'd be down to help me so I don't end up burning down my radio, our house, our shed, myself, etc. (So to answer your one question: yes, the Satellit 750 does indeed have external antenna jacks.)

I figure I'll build at least a couple, likely loops, probably one for good(ish) indoors listening and another one that can be set up outdoors and broken down easily. Or maybe I'll just build one that can be used indoors and make a mount or something for hoisting it up temporarily outside. I'm still living at home so having a permanent one outside isn't really in the cards. But I think this'd do for the time being!

Status
Not open for further replies.