Newbie...advice for handheld scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

tezzyuk

I live in the UK and these days from what I've read the UK Emergency Services all use Tetra so nothing to listen to there, however I'd be interested in listening to Airband as I have a weekend house near an airfield.

However I'd prefer a handheld as I do a fair amount of traveling, would like it to be multi band (I realise that in all likelyhood I'll never use it's full features, but if I'm going to buy something would rather it was feature rich - I also realise different antennas may be needed to get the best out of it).

There are a few things I would like, would prefer it to have the ability to connect to a computer via USB for both control and audio, that way I could still listen to it and tune it remotely while in town during the week, from what I've read the ICOM R1500 (I realise this isn't a handheld) offers this facility but can't see it available on any handhelds, is that because none of them offer it?

Would also like to be able to power it easily from a cars 12v supply as well as using rechargeables.

All info and advice gratefully received.

N8IAA

However I'd prefer a handheld as I do a fair amount of traveling, would like it to be multi band (I realise that in all likelyhood I'll never use it's full features, but if I'm going to buy something would rather it was feature rich - I also realise different antennas may be needed to get the best out of it).

There are a few things I would like, would prefer it to have the ability to connect to a computer via USB for both control and audio, that way I could still listen to it and tune it remotely while in town during the week, from what I've read the ICOM R1500 (I realise this isn't a handheld) offers this facility but can't see it available on any handhelds, is that because none of them offer it?

Would also like to be able to power it easily from a cars 12v supply as well as using rechargeables.

All info and advice gratefully received.

Just realize that the R1500 has not been in production for many years. They never made a handheld with those features. Now, there is a new handheld coming out, the Icom R30. Don't know what features you are looking for, and don't know if it is computer controlled. Might be something you would like.
You will find that some posts on this site could take days to be read and answered.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.