Recommendations New User

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadorno

Hello. I would like some information on what scanner I should purchase. I live in Cook County Illinois. The issue is that I'm not sure what scanner I need given the data I have. I have some frequencies that are short in length for example Police Station ABC @ 473.01 and others such as Location 123 @ 465.23267. I was told if I wanted to (with the caveat that various frequencies should not accessed due to privacy) listen to frequencies that are 7 digits long, I would need a narrow frequency scanner. Any help would be great.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Any of the newer, and a lot of the older scanners will do narrowband. The ones from Uniden I would suggest are the Home Patrol 2 (mobile/base), 436 (handheld), 536 (mobile/base), 996p2 (mobile/base), or the 325p2 (handheld). The HP2 and x36's are easier to program than the 996 and 325 as they can accommodate the full database here at RR.

As for Whistler, I have no experience with them but I'm sure someone will pop in with the latest models from them.

Compare them all, read the threads in the vendor specific forums and see which one you think would be best at the price point you can find..

Asking which is best is like asking which car brand is best.. You'll get glowing responses from those that are a fan of one brand over another. Personally, I'm a Uniden fan, but what I like, and what you may like, are two different things.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello. I would like some information on what scanner I should purchase. I live in Cook County Illinois. The issue is that I'm not sure what scanner I need given the data I have. I have some frequencies that are short in length for example Police Station ABC @ 473.01 and others such as Location 123 @ 465.23267. I was told if I wanted to (with the caveat that various frequencies should not accessed due to privacy) listen to frequencies that are 7 digits long, I would need a narrow frequency scanner. Any help would be great.
Besides the notes from n9mxq that the newer scanners, from both Uniden & Whistler, will handle narrowband, bear in mind that when you start getting to that fourth or fifth decimal place, that frequency might not display "as entered" as the screen does not allow it. But as a practical matter, those last, extended, decimal places make so little difference in reception that you would likely not notice it at all.

gadorno

Thank you so much! This makes sense. eBay, Craigslist and Amazon are my best bet for a scanner? Any books you can recommend?

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Thank you so much! This makes sense. eBay, Craigslist and Amazon are my best bet for a scanner? Any books you can recommend?
Personally, I'd avoid eBay and Craigslist for a first scanner purchase. Stick with either a local vendor, Amazon or one of the larger online vendors. Depending on the scanner you decide upon, you will also need programming software (and possibly a cable).

Enjoy!

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
You've already found the best information resource you can have. These forums.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.