Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuhlm1

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys,

I'm a new member and a novice(idiot) too this. I have BC355N but I had had someone set it up for me. I was told that with the changes I will not be able to pick up as much. So I went and bought BCD536HP. I should be getting it Wednesday. I'm looking to make this a mobile unit in my truck along with my cb. So that being said I'm looking to try to set this new one up solo. I used to use a cb antenna for my last scanner and it seemed ok... Just looking for some beginners tips so I can utilize my purchase. Again I'm a newbie so pretty much every question I have is probably common sense.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Don't use a CB antenna for the scanner. It will work like crap compared to an antenna tuned to the band(s)you are scanning.

Kuhlm1

Premium Subscriber
Ok what would be a good antenna to use for a vehicle? I've seen a couple on Amazon and eBay. I feel like there should be a better one then the basic one that came with my first scanner.

Thanks for the info.

marksmith

An external antenna can help, but it depends what you listen to, and how you mount scanner in vehicle whether it is a significant improvement.

The standard antenna would be a huge improvement over a CB antenna.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

Kuhlm1

Premium Subscriber
Most antennas with decent reviews I find are magnet mount ones. I'm looking for something window mount. I will have 2 antennas for my CB mounted to my toolbox on the bed of my truck. I'm hoping that a window mount at the windshield behind the review mirror would provide the least interference??

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Be aware that the BCD536HP is a fairly complex scanner. Yes, you can use the zip code feature to get started, but this will likely bring in lots of stuff that you probably won't want to hear. Your best bet will be to learn how to create one or more FAVORITE LISTS so that you can winnow down all of the users to just the ones that interest you.

Even if you haven't actually received your scanner yet, I suggest that you do some online searches and READ, READ, READ! You're going to need to understand how to use the Sentinel software to your best advantage.

Prepare yourself to be frustrated at first, but it will come to you if you give it a fair shot. After all, this IS a fun hobby - right? Also, as someone else already mentioned, a CB antenna will not work well with a multi-band scanner. The 'best' antenna for you depends on your bands of interest and your vehicle's mounting possibilities. Again... do your research. That's the fun part!

John

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I use a wide band antenna Comtelco All-Band Low-Profile Scanner Antenna | Scanner Master and am very happy with it.

It is on a vehicle specific bracket mounted to the fender of my truck. I didn't want to drill holes in a new vehicle and I had garage door clearance issues.

You can google "Vehicle specific antenna mounts" and find several distributors. From there you should find your specific vehicle.

Also you probably want to put as much distance as possible between your scanner and CB antennas to avoid scanner front end overload resulting in a repair shop trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.