how to download software to WS1040

Status
Not open for further replies.

awr1958

Premium Subscriber
I just got this scanner today, and can't figure out how to get the software onto my scanner; I have looked on several sites and am having trouble understanding what to do; I have Win500 V02.08 installed, and have download some frequencies from starsoft.com into "my documents" folder; the scanner is connected to the pc using the usb cable that came with it; what do I need to do next?

awr1958

Premium Subscriber
thank you for your reply; according to the instructions in the link you posted in your reply, I have done everything I was supposed to do; how can you tell if the scanner and pc are communicating?; I've noticed that, near the middle of the usb cable, when I plug it into my pc, a green light flashes for a second or 2 then goes out; is that supposed do do that or should it stay lit?

troymail

Silent Key
thank you for your reply; according to the instructions in the link you posted in your reply, I have done everything I was supposed to do; how can you tell if the scanner and pc are communicating?; I've noticed that, near the middle of the usb cable, when I plug it into my pc, a green light flashes for a second or 2 then goes out; is that supposed do do that or should it stay lit?

Best I recall, you really don't know if the communication is good between the PC and the radio in this scenario unless/until you try to read or write to/from the scanner. At that point, I believe the PC software will provide a progress bar/message and the display on the radio will indicate something similar.

For the most part, you really can't hurt anything so play/experiment and get comfortable with it.

If concerned about losing your current programming, perhaps have the first you get working to be copying the configuration from your radio and store that on your PC. Then, play, play, play.

You never want to do alot of programming without getting comfortable with the software first -- you should always start with playing with data you don't care about and/or is easy to recover/restore.

awr1958

Premium Subscriber
I am able to manually program the scanner and get it to scan that way; it took some time to figure out how to program it on my own, in my opinion the manual isn't all that easy to follow; my point is I paid to be able to download and program it for me, and it's not doing it

and I'm not understanding what you mean by "you really don't know if the communication is good between the PC and the radio in this scenario unless/until you try to read or write to/from the scanner. At that point, I believe the PC software will provide a progress bar/message and the display on the radio will indicate something similar." what do you mean by "try to read or write to/from the scanner?"

I am not concerned about losing any current programming because I set it back to default in hopes of figuring out if the scanner and pc are communicating with each other

awr1958

Premium Subscriber
thank you fxdscon for your reply; I clicked on the link you send, and was following the instructions on how to download directly from radioreference.com; there is no place on my software to put in the url as shown on the instructions (Win500 V02.08), so I put in my user name and password, click for it to remember me, and then click "start"; I then set the country to the United States, and would then get an error message saying I had the wrong user name or password; I went directly to the website, logged out and them typed in the same user name and password I used on the software, and it logged me right on; I see the instructions is using Win500 V01.80, could the different version of software be causing the problem?

how do I know if my scanner is set to Open or Closed Mode - "Wildcard"? also, when I turn on my scanner, after a few seconds it says "select object type to create", and doesn't go any further; what else do I need to do there?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.