Icon ic2300h

Status
Not open for further replies.

M3_SJ

Hi,
Can I use this unit as a replacement for a handheld scanner ?

Also, can I use this unit to communicate with family members using walkie talkies and different 2 way radios at the cottage ?

Thanks for your help.

SJ

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hi,

Depends.
It's a mobile VHF amateur radio. It only covers the VHF spectrum, 136MHz to 174MHz, and nothing else. It also requires 12 volts DC, so you'd need a battery or power supply.

-Might- be a MOBILE scanner replacement if all you wanted to listen to was VHF analog. Not a good solution is you want portable and anything other than analog 136-174MHz.

Also, can I use this unit to communicate with family members using walkie talkies and different 2 way radios at the cottage ?

It will only legally transmit on the 2 meter VHF amateur radio band. That would require anyone using it to have a valid amateur radio license.
The other radios would need to be able to at least receiving on the 2 meter amateur radio band, and if you wanted them to be able to reply, each individual user would need their own amateur radio license.

Maybe if you tell us what your needs are, we could make a suggestion. Without having your amateur radio license, you cannot legally transmit with this radio.

marksmith

It's a poor replacement for a scanner, and not a good radio for your other suggested uses.

Doubt you will solve either desire with this radio. In fact, doubt you will solve either desire with a single radio.

You can get a cheap set of FRS (Family Radio Service) portables for the second use, but you probably need to invest in a scanner unless you are only interested in one band, with little activity on it.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

As others have pointed out, it won't make a very good scanner and you will require an amateur radio license in order to legally transmit with it.

What do you want to listen to? Knowing that will let others suggest a more suitable radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.