Bcd536hp, tgid ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpw5rp

Is there a way to scan only the TGID and could this work? I been trying to receive the P25 system in Worcester MA. from about 18 miles away.There are very small hills between here and there. I been told its a line of sight system. Installed on roof the D130NJ Diamond Super Discone Antenna with 50' LMR-400 Coax Cable still nothing. I also took the scanner to the City of Worcester and it was picking up the P25 working great. Any idea's that might work from my location? dpw5rp

dpw5rp

BCD536HP, TGID ? Please Help

All the experience out there, someone must have the infomation I need. thanks again dpw5rp

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
These new trunked systems are designed to work within their area of operations. Reception 18 or 20 miles away is difficult. A directional Yagi antenna aimed at the closest tower would be an improvement.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Is there a way to scan only the TGID and could this work?

With a trunked system you don't scan TGIDs, you scan frequencies on system sites. TGIDs are used to identify traffic broadcast from a system site.

dpw5rp

Yagi Antenna option.

Thanks for the info W8RMH. I will look into the Yagi Antenna definitly. I'm also wondering if an signal amp,connected between the scanner and antenna would work,or is this a waist of time ? dpw5rp

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Get a better antenna first, then try an amplifier. An amplifier can actually make reception problems worse if you don't know what you are doing.

Yagi antennas are directional, and must be pointed at the transmitter tower to work. You need to know the location of the nearest system site so you can aim the antenna at it for proper reception.

dpw5rp

jonweinke, I never owned a digital scanner before,I'm new to this had no idea.Im learning slowly. thanks for that info. dpw5rp

dpw5rp

How do I find out the location of the transmitter tower to aim the antenna at for proper reception from North Brookfield Ma. also, I found this 806-960, 10dBi, Terrawave Yagi Base Antenna on scannermaster.com its kind of low price so I hope it works. Do you have any better ideas on a Antenna or is that fine. dpw5rp

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
How do I find out the location of the transmitter tower to aim the antenna at for proper reception from North Brookfield Ma. also, I found this 806-960, 10dBi, Terrawave Yagi Base Antenna on scannermaster.com its kind of low price so I hope it works. Do you have any better ideas on a Antenna or is that fine. dpw5rp
Take a look at the system in the database:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7127

Now, looking at the sites, find the one listed as Worcester Simulcast, and click on that name.

That takes you to a page with the site details
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=26397

Look at the line heading FCC Licenses

Click on that small icon to the right of that heading, near the lower left corner of the map. (If you hover your mouse over it, you'll see a blurb labeled as "View FCC Callsigns Site Map).
Clicking on that icon takes you to a page with a map showing the licensed site locations for the simulcast.

Aim your antenna toward the site location closest to you. If there are hills or other obstructions between our location and the site, try the next closest if the the first one does not pan out.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
While this may be a "out in left field" thought, is there any chance there is something in the vicinity of your home that is causing "de-sense" (as in interference)?

One way to check is to see how close to your home you can begin receiving the Worcester simulcast site.

Simulcast systems are often used in metropolitan areas to achieve in-building coverage. They consist of a number of lower power transmitters (in your case 70 watts) rather than the old way of one large "blow torch" transmitter of several hundred watts. This was done to conserve radio frequencies, so that they can be re-used by other systems a little closer.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
While this may be a "out in left field" thought, is there any chance there is something in the vicinity of your home that is causing "de-sense" (as in interference)?

The x36 scanners are pretty good about not doing that. I live about 1500 feet from a pager/cell tower, and I don't have desense issues, even though I have an outdoor ST-2 with a clear line of sight to the tower. The same is true of every 436 I've tested doing GPS mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.