New digital system

Status
Not open for further replies.

therick04pp

Hi all, so long story short, I have been hosting my local PD over the interwebs for about 7 years now. It is the only station that I have programmed into my scanner and I set it and forget it. The scanner is a RS PRO 433 and is still brand new as once I got it broadcasting, I never touched it again... So anyway, my local PD just went all digital so now this scanner will no longer work.

The new system is a P25 phase 2, system. I am now in the market for a digital scanner that will provide P25 Phase 2, that wont break my bank. I do this out of courtesy to my city residents and dont really have $450 bucks or more to spend on some crazy scanner that I will only use to broadcast my local PD on.

Anyone know of any or where I could look or specific models, that are fairly inexpensive, digital and can handle P25 Phase 2?

*If this is the wrong area, please move, I looked and couldn't find a better area**

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hi all, so long story short, I have been hosting my local PD over the interwebs for about 7 years now. It is the only station that I have programmed into my scanner and I set it and forget it. The scanner is a RS PRO 433 and is still brand new as once I got it broadcasting, I never touched it again... So anyway, my local PD just went all digital so now this scanner will no longer work.

The new system is a P25 phase 2, system. I am now in the market for a digital scanner that will provide P25 Phase 2, that wont break my bank. I do this out of courtesy to my city residents and dont really have $450 bucks or more to spend on some crazy scanner that I will only use to broadcast my local PD on.

Anyone know of any or where I could look or specific models, that are fairly inexpensive, digital and can handle P25 Phase 2?

*If this is the wrong area, please move, I looked and couldn't find a better area**
Hi therick

Looking at your county in the database, it does not appear that it has been updated as to which system your city moved to. If it was to a P25 Phase II system, can you confirm it was the statewide system?
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7127

The system is capable of Phase II operation, but at present, the vast majority of the submitted talkgroups appear to be P25 Phase I, but that could change at any time, and if you don't know the talkgroups your city moved to, then to be safe, you probably need to look for a Phase II capable scanner. (If you knew, for sure, that your city is Phase I & no change is planned in the foreseeable future, you would have some cheaper scanner options.)

Phase II capable scanners include:
Uniden
Uniden BCD436HP (Handheld)
Uniden BCD536HP (Base/Mobile)
Uniden BCD325P2 (Handheld)
Uniden BCD996P2 (Base Mobile)

Uniden Home Patrol 2
This model can be used as a desktop scanner, or with optional available mounts, used in a vehicle. While not really designed as a ‘true handheld scanner’, it does run on batteries and can be carried in a coat pocket or in a small belt tool holster.

Whistler
All of the scanners in this group can receive P25 Phase I & P25 Phase II signals. These also can utilize a free upgrade for receiving DMR systems.

WS1088 (Handheld) Has keypad.
WS1098 (Base/Mobile) Has keypad and a detachable head for mobile installations.

TRX-1 (Handheld) Has keypad.
TRX-2 (Base/Mobile) Has keypad and a detachable head for mobile installations.
The TRX-1 & TRX-2 also have an available free upgrade to enable reception of NXDN systems.

Previous Whistler models that are also P25 Phase I & P25 Phase II capable, also have a free DMR upgrade:
WS1080 (Handheld) (Same as the WS1088, except lacking the numeric keypad)
WS1095 (Base/Mobile) (Same as the WS1098, except lacking the numeric keypad)
The scanners below have a paid upgrade available through Whistler, to make them DMR capable, as well as P25 Phase I & Phase II (all except the Pro-18 were already Phase II capable). This upgrade also makes them eligible for support from Whistler. All are discontinued units. Also see this RadioReference thread.

GRE PSR-800 (Handheld)
RadioShack PRO-18 (Handheld)
Radio Shack Pro-668 (Handheld)

Your least expensive option would likely be one of the scanners in that last group (PSR-800, Pro-18, or Pro-668). Of that group, the Pro-668 would be the 'newest' of the three. Check the classifieds here on RadioReference, online sites such as eBay and Craig's List for a good condition, used unit. Don't overlook checking yard and estate sales, as well as your local pawn shops, for a lower cost unit. Skim through this thread for what some members have found in unexpected places.

therick04pp

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the information. Yes, I spoke to our city radio guy tonight and he told me that it was the P25 Phase II system. I wish I new if it was the statewide system or not. He did say he would program the scanner for me, though so I got that going for me.. Lol.

I will look at the scanner options you gave me. I think I am just trying to justify spending money on a scanner I will likely program once and then let sit until it becomes obsolete for my uses, like the one I currently have.

Any issues with this particular system on any of these scanners that you know of? I hear some say the Whistlers have better audio than the Unidens, but I have zero experience with this, considering my Radioshack served me well... Haha

troymail

Silent Key
Any issues with this particular system on any of these scanners that you know of? I hear some say the Whistlers have better audio than the Unidens, but I have zero experience with this, considering my Radioshack served me well... Haha

Knowing for certain which system is important to answering about any issues receiving it. Many new systems are digital simulcast and can be a challenge to receive well/consistently. Hopefully, it isn't simulcast but there is probably a better than 50/50 chance it is.

As far as which manufacturer and/or model -- you'll get all kinds of responses.... so here's mine.... I've found for many years now that the GRE/Whistler radios have better voice quality out of the box without tweaks. Uniden models have "auto" decode settings but still seem to require more adjustments to get good decode.

Some may say that the Uniden 436/536 has better simulcast reception but even Uniden reps have used the phrase YMMV ("your mileage may vary"). I find that you still have to put your radio in the "right spot" for it to receive simulcast.

Someone can tell you what works for them where they are but that will mean little to nothing unless you are trying to monitor what they are and where they are.

With exception of my Unication G4 pager (currently not Phase 2 capable), ALL of my radios - regardless of manufacturer - require regular "adjustments" (change in location usually) to keep them receiving simulcast systems well.

But again - for non-simulcast - for the best out of the box performance - Whistler.

Next....

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Devils advocate, what about a SDR pipe using something like OP25 or trunk-recorder? Just needs a spare dual-core computer and SDR dongle.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the information. Yes, I spoke to our city radio guy tonight and he told me that it was the P25 Phase II system. I wish I new if it was the statewide system or not. He did say he would program the scanner for me, though so I got that going for me.. Lol.

I will look at the scanner options you gave me. I think I am just trying to justify spending money on a scanner I will likely program once and then let sit until it becomes obsolete for my uses, like the one I currently have.

Any issues with this particular system on any of these scanners that you know of? I hear some say the Whistlers have better audio than the Unidens, but I have zero experience with this, considering my RadioShack served me well... Haha
The only P25 Phase II system in your county is the statewide P25 system. I see where your county is listed as using the old Motorola Type II system. If that is correct, then they might also move to the Phase II system at some point. There are no talkgroups listed on the Phase II system for agencies in your county at this time. But until someone verifies usage and submits the information they won't show up on the database here on RR.

For your specific county, Hampden, the site for the statewide system appears to be only a single site, not a multisite simulcast, so that type of distortion might not hinder you. That simplifies your scanner requirements. The current crop of digital scanners, regardless of brand, are generally able to handle a single site system, except in cases where there is interference from strong signals from a nearby tower (like a cell tower).

The Whistler scanners (and the RadioShack labeled equivalents) are what is called O.O.S. (Object Oriented Scanners). The Uniden scanners use what is called D.M.A. (Dynamic Memory Architecture). Neither of these memory types are similar to that used on your Pro-433. There will be a learning curve for either type, but once you get the hang of either, you'll have no problems. I prefer the DMA scanners, but can also program the OOS without issue. Either system would work for what you need.

Funny- also just stumbled into this which, if I am reading it correctly, seems to say Westfield PD is P25 conventional (not trunked).

https://forums.radioreference.com/massachusetts-radio-discussion-forum/358742-westfield-city.html
That's interesting. Looking at the database entries for Westfield, none of their current licenses show digital emission codes on them, and no new licenses that I see. However, this would not be the first time an agency switched to digital without getting the required approvals. One county to the west of me switched to digital a couple of years ago, as did several other cities in the county. None have the correct code on their license to allow digital usage.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
A little more setup but if you're just monitoring one talk group a couple SDR dongles and a cheap used computer will handle it nicely and be cheaper than dumping a bunch of money into a scanner that's just for an online feed.

troymail

Silent Key
That's interesting. Looking at the database entries for Westfield, none of their current licenses show digital emission codes on them, and no new licenses that I see. However, this would not be the first time an agency switched to digital without getting the required approvals. One county to the west of me switched to digital a couple of years ago, as did several other cities in the county. None have the correct code on their license to allow digital usage.

Yup - public safety is usually maintained and current but I suppose that's not going to be true across the board 100% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.