SDR Scanner thoughts ideas!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I don't know much about SDR stuff, though I understand it is the up and coming thing.

If you have a P25 capable scanner, you could accomplish pretty much anything the SDR will do.

You'd have to do some research on FCC licenses to see what frequencies are associated with the system and program them. From there you'll learn the control channel frequency. Hopefully those frequencies that are as alternate CCs will be rotated so you can discover them too.

Once you have the control channel frequencies programmed, then use ID Search to discover talkgroup IDs. You'll have to do some figuring out what they are by listening to the transmissions.

kylej86

You could set up SdrSharp and find the control channels in your area. Once you have the sdrs set up and running follow the tutorial for decoding digital voice. When you get the control channels in Universal trunker and running it will log every tgid it receives on the system so you can begin to figure out what is what.

I bought two of the RTL-SDR.com SSRs to listen to our P25 system and use DSD+, Universal Trunker, and Virtual Audio Cable. I'm loving it so far.
If you are handy with a computer it will be a breeze.

This quick start guide is what I first read and why I went for it. https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-quick-start-guide/

FOLLOWING TRUNKED RADIO WITH UNITRUNKER https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-tutorial-following-trunked-radio-unitrunker/

RTL-SDR TUTORIAL: DECODING DIGITAL VOICE (P25, DMR, NXDN, D-STAR) WITH DSD https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-radio-scanner-tutorial-decoding-digital-voice-p25-with-dsd/

Attachments

• received_10155513314161826.jpg
    received_10155513314161826.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 243

rivera293

You could set up SdrSharp and find the control channels in your area. Once you have the sdrs set up and running follow the tutorial for decoding digital voice. When you get the control channels in Universal trunker and running it will log every tgid it receives on the system so you can begin to figure out what is what.

I bought two of the RTL-SDR.com SSRs to listen to our P25 system and use DSD+, Universal Trunker, and Virtual Audio Cable. I'm loving it so far.

This quick start guide is what I first read and why I went for it. https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-quick-start-guide/

FOLLOWING TRUNKED RADIO WITH UNITRUNKER https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-tutorial-following-trunked-radio-unitrunker/

RTL-SDR TUTORIAL: DECODING DIGITAL VOICE (P25, DMR, NXDN, D-STAR) WITH DSD https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-radio-scanner-tutorial-decoding-digital-voice-p25-with-dsd/

I'm aware of having to use two SDR sticks if you want to listen to P25, but how did you confer them together? Did you buy an adapter or connect them in different ports on your computer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There is plentiful information on that subject in the SDR forum. You'd be better off looking there than asking in the newbie forum.

kylej86

I'm aware of having to use two SDR sticks if you want to listen to P25, but how did you confer them together? Did you buy an adapter or connect them in different ports on your computer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can do it either way. When I am using my desktop I use one port per dongle, on my Microsoft surface I only have one port so I use a 3.0 USB hub with multiple dongles.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Look around the forums for "software defined radio". It's pretty obvious.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber

I use only one dongle with unitrunker to listen to P25 Phase 1 systems. For me, a few systems are within the 2.4 range that my dongle offers. For larger systems, I use an Airspy mini as it will cover 4.8 Mhz.

kylej86

I use only one dongle with unitrunker to listen to P25 Phase 1 systems. For me, a few systems are within the 2.4 range that my dongle offers. For larger systems, I use an Airspy mini as it will cover 4.8 Mhz.

I didn't realize that the airspy would cover 4.8Mhz. Are there any other advantages other than that over what I have now?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
The mini also has an unofficial 10 Mhz mode that gave 8 mhz usable, well almost usable.Lots of images.

As far as benefits between the 2 , I don't have any specs in front of me so if anyone wants to chime in, feel free.

I know the v3 starts at 500kHz and the mini starts around 24mhz. They both got to around 1.7 and 1.8ghz. The mini with the spyverter will go from 1kHz to 60 MHz.

kylej86

The mini also has an unofficial 10 Mhz mode that gave 8 mhz usable, well almost usable.Lots of images.

As far as benefits between the 2 , I don't have any specs in front of me so if anyone wants to chime in, feel free.

I know the v3 starts at 500kHz and the mini starts around 24mhz. They both got to around 1.7 and 1.8ghz. The mini with the spyverter will go from 1kHz to 60 MHz.
Thank you, that's helpful. I'm just not sure about the $99 for one, but with what you posted I kinda want to try one out.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.