New User saying HELLO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulcanccit

Geek-Broadcast Engineer-Computer Dude-Scanner Dude
Based here in Sunny HOT Phoenix, Arizona. I have been out of the scanner world since about 2000. I used to have a radio shack 200 channel scanner that I modified to 400 channels, and also did the cellular modification back when you could listen. It was great fun! I now own a Uniden Home Patrol II and love it. I bounce back and forth from Aviation to EMS to Media. I used to enjoy Popular Communications magazine and I believe Monitoring Times if I remember correct. Now the only magazine I can find is National Communications Magazine online. I looked at their sample and it looked good. What are your thoughts on that magazine?

In the sample it talked about some kind of software to program in CB Radio channels, but can't I just do that with the Sentinal software (once I knew what to program).

Other than that, nice to be here and I hope to learn a lot from you all! Happy Listening!!!

Vulcanccit

I found the HomePatrol II will do CB in the "Other" category but I hear nothing. I have a discone antenna but I bet it does not do the low frequencies

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I found the HomePatrol II will do CB in the "Other" category but I hear nothing. I have a discone antenna but I bet it does not do the low frequencies
Hi Vulcanccit

Welcome to RadioReference

In order to hear the CB channels, be sure that you have the Service Type Other enabled. However, since that would include a number of other channel types (if scanning using the main database and your Zip code), you might be better off appending the CB frequencies to a favorites list and scanning there. I doubt that your discone antenna would be "so bad" that you would not hear those frequencies. No, it's not optimal for that low frequencies, but if you know that there are conversations going on, I suspect you could hear at least some of them (again, if the correct Service type is turned on).

Vulcanccit

Yes, I lowered my Squelch and heard a few transmissions so that was cool. what I found odd is I did a "quick frequency entry of Channel 19" and it would not do it as it said I didn't have any service types selected

What have you all found for Hospital frequencies? I hear nothing on them. I thought I would hear EMS calling ER rooms to alert them of a pending arrival... maybe this only happens on the EMS channels?\

spongella

Premium Subscriber

Welcome, yes Monitoring Times ceased publishing but you can check out The Spectrum Monitor magazine which is an on-line mag, similar to what MT used to be. As a subscriber myself it has lots of good info. Enjoyed Pop Comm also back when they were publishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.