Recommendations: Best handheld all channel scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

roguexile

I've tried searching the forum a bit and not really coming up with what i'm looking for. Most people are looking for the least expensive scanner. Money is always a concern but i'm capable of spending what it takes to get the best. I'm pretty much torn between the Uniden BCD436HP and the Whistler TRX-1.

Is there anything about one or the other that makes them better. Or is there a handheld that outperforms those? I want to be able to cover anything and everything in my area (washington state) as well as anywhere i travel in the states.

thanks

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Those are both top of the line scanners with full RR database pre-loaded and recording capability. You will find opinions for people with a preference of one or the other but you really can't go wrong with either. The TRX-1 includes DMR and NXDN decoding built in. On the BCD436HP DMR and PROVOICE (not available on the TRX-1) are optional (extra cost) and NXDN is not available.
You might also consider the Uniden HP-2. It has fewer features and is not really a handheld model but it has an easier to use (friendlier) interface.

As jonwienke mentioned, the Unidens can connect to a GPS and will automatically scan the local services that are available where you are located at the moment. This is a really slick feature. For the ultimate in convenience you can have the GPS installed inside your BCD436HP. See:
https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/356032-internal-gps-mod-tech-support-q.html

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The Uniden scanners can use GPS to automatically scan nearby stuff. This is extremely handy when scanning on the go.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I recommend the BCD436HP. You can't go with the least expensive scanner if you want performance or capabilities like P25 Phase II, DMR, or ProVoice. It's like buying a less expensive Toyota Corolla when you need a heavy-duty pickup.

roguexile

Decided to go with the BCD436HP. Seems to be the easiest and most user friendly. As well as having the best options for what i'm looking for. Thanks for all your help!

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I wish Uniden would put a new scanner out with built-in GPS. Having to use a dongle is stupid. GPS chip cost is trivial. If it uses too much battery juice to power, then make the scanner use 6 AA's..

roguexile

I wish Uniden would put a new scanner out with built-in GPS. Having to use a dongle is stupid. GPS chip cost is trivial. If it uses too much battery juice to power, then make the scanner use 6 AA's..

I saw somewhere on this forum that there is a mod to add a gps chip to the uniden scanners internally that isn't to complicated. maybe you could check that route.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's not too difficult to put a GPS in a Uniden scanner if you're handy with a soldering iron, Dremel, and basic hand tools, and have a bit of basic electronics knowledge. In the case of the 436, battery life is decreased by about 10%, depending on how much you use the display backlight, speaker volume level, etc. It definitely could and should be included in any new handheld scanner, particularly whatever model ends up succeeding the 436.

Status
Not open for further replies.