Beware chirp has a virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
From where did you download it? If you downloaded Chirp from anywhere but the official site, then you are likely to get nailed.

If you did download it from the official site, it's likely a false positive. Several other programming packages - FreeScan being notable for this - also cause false positives.

Mike

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I've seen it mentioned many times in this forum. It's a common neophyte mistake. It is definitely a false positive if you got it from the official site. I've never, ever, had a problem with Chirp.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Whats Chirp? Been on line for ten years and never came across it before. I must be a novice.

DMC

Don't think of yourself as a 'novice' - uninformed, yes, but not a novice. Don't feel bad - there's probably a fair number of folks like yourself that had never heard of Chirp

Mike

Ubbe

I highly recommend IObits malware fighter and also their other products like Advanced System Care.
They are free but to get all options enabled you'll have to use a license code. For some reason IObit allows sharing a license with 100 others so there's no lack of codes available to enter.

Malware fighter have the normal antivirus functions like scanning all downloads and ransomware protection and advertising block and protection of webbrowsers changes.

It reacts to false positives like any other antivirus program, detecting code that changes other files, like a program that changes radio/scanner files, and you have to look that up on the false positive websites.

/Ubbe

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
For computer protection, I tend to stay with the more well-known names. I understand that some of these lesser-known products may be great and may even be free but the adage of "You get what your pay for" has a ring of truth to it.

And, I don't use Kaspersky. It's Russian-based and there's just too much nefarious computer activity originating in Russia for me to have a real trusting feeling about them.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Kaspersky has been banned by the US government because of connection to Russian espionage.

mm

I just downloaded Chirp and programmed my Motorola HT1250LS+ 220 handheld.

No issues at all and the new Python module for the Motorola Ht1250 is excellent.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Slicerwuzard, you may be right. I don't know, but they're not my choice.

I have nothing against Russians. Actually, I speak Russian (очень плохо tеперь). It was my foreign language at Auburn but I do question some of their international computer exploits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.