New Owner of a BCD325P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bd18packer

I am the new owner of a BCD325P2 Uniden scanner that I purchased from a previous owner. This scanner was pre-programmed to various sites in Colorado. As I am reading the owner's manual, I am totally confused as how to select various sites, program and use quick keys, and how to program this particular scanner for new site I wish to monitor. Can any other owners of this particular scanner, please inform me how to perform the simplest functions on the scanner? As an old-school scanner guy, this particular scanner has features beyond my comprehension and I don't wish to appear as a newbie when it comes to operating this particular device. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Uniden Scanner owners?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'd say most of us had our fair share of headaches and frustration when the Dynamic Memory Archtecture came to be. It's a great thing, but the learning curve is pretty steep.

A couple of thoughts - be patient with it, give yourself permission to make programming mistakes and remember that you won't ruin a scanner with bad programming.

As time goes along you will get more comfortable with the scanner and things will fall into place.

There are several excellent Youtube videos on programming the 325 scanner and you may spend some time there. Also the older sibling is the 396 and it's programming is the same. So anything you pick up on the 396 is applicable to the 325.

Using software to program the scanner is very efficient and reduces the opportunity for errors. Freescan, ARC-XT and Proscan are all competent programs. You may wish to consider being a premium subscriber and that would allow your software to download the appropriate programming data.

There are two types of Quick Keys, System Quick Keys and Group Quick Keys.

System Quick Keys will toggle Systems on and off. Group Quick Keys will toggle groups of channels on and off, within a system.

bd18packer

re: bcd325p2

Unfortunately, I cannot make heads or tails sense out of the printed manual or the manual found online to operate the scanner. Saying that the learning curve is steep is an understatement. I have been fooling around with the scanner now for over a month and still cannot figure out how to add or delete programming or make adjustments to the pre-programmed systems. Barring having find someone to walk me through it step by step by step this scanner is pretty much useless for my needs.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Get the Freescan software FreeSCAN - Sixspot Software

Look at these videos: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=uniden+396+programming+freescan and https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=uniden+325+programming+freescan

These should be fairly informative and will walk you through the process. Also note that while technically different scanners, the 325, 996 and 396 scanners program the same way. Kind of like a car - the controls may be in different locations, but they all function the same.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Have you used any sort of software to look at the programming? Did the guy who sell you the scanner give you a reference for his programming?

Many modern scanners are difficult to program by hand for experienced users. Software makes it a lot easier, but it can still be a hard to get everything correct. Having no reference to how the scanner is currently programmed and how the quick keys are currently set would pretty much make it unusable.

The Easier to Read Manual linked in the first reply is probably one of the best references for trying to learn the scanner, especially if you're trying to do anything by hand.

You can also try taking a look at the DMA and Program your DMA Scanner pages on the Wiki to see if they give you an idea of how the scanner works.

If you are looking for a programming service and one-on-one instructions on how to use the scanner, then you may want to look at what Denver Radio offers.

Last edited:

wtp

to bd18packer

i sent a personal message with some help on programming.
step by step.
it should help
and i can send more.

bd18packer

re: bcd325p2

Radio is preprogrammed already. I need to know how to access different portions of the pre programmed systems and assign them quick keys so I can scan them. Any help is appreciated.

Baker845

i have bcd325p2. I got it programmed it with free scan and was up and running in 20 mins. The scanner works great. Also up dated firmware yesterday with no issues. If you have any other questions, PM and ill see if i can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.