RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > New User / Getting Started Forum

New User / Getting Started Forum - The place for new users to discuss how to get started, and generally feel safe from the rest of the rabid technical community. If you just got your first scanner, this forum is for you. Please note: Posts are only moved from this forum by OP's request only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2017, 11:55 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Question Trying to monitor Mass SP

I bought a brand-new BCD996P2, subscribed to RR & downloaded ProScan all with the hopes of receiving Massachusetts state police once again. I'm pretty sure I imported all the correct information, and with some trial & error I managed to figure out how to upload it properly to the scanner. Yet I'm still not hearing any SP activity. I must have at least imported & uploaded the conventional systems properly as I receive on those. They still use a lot of the old VHF & UHF analog frequencies here, I imported & uploaded those properly & they work fine. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?
Sponsored links
Old 10-11-2017, 12:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

It looks like the state police is using a mixed system. Some parts are a Motorola Type II and other parts are P25 Phase 1 and 2. Both appear to be 800MHz.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2017, 12:04 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

A. Where in Mass are you
B. What Zone are you trying to listen to
c. What Talk-Groups are enabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by impalafarmer View Post
I bought a brand-new BCD996P2, subscribed to RR & downloaded ProScan all with the hopes of receiving Massachusetts state police once again. I'm pretty sure I imported all the correct information, and with some trial & error I managed to figure out how to upload it properly to the scanner. Yet I'm still not hearing any SP activity. I must have at least imported & uploaded the conventional systems properly as I receive on those. They still use a lot of the old VHF & UHF analog frequencies here, I imported & uploaded those properly & they work fine. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?
Old 10-11-2017, 12:06 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There is also a 700 Overlay in the Metro Boston area
Quote:
Originally Posted by clbsquared View Post
It looks like the state police is using a mixed system. Some parts are a Motorola Type II and other parts are P25 Phase 1 and 2. Both appear to be 800MHz.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2017, 9:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecps92 View Post
A. Where in Mass are you
B. What Zone are you trying to listen to
c. What Talk-Groups are enabled
I live in central MA, in Worcester County in a town called Northbridge in the Blackstone River Valley. Last time I had a trunking scanner in 2015 it was a BCT-15 and still received the State Troopers. I programmed it in my lap, if I remember correctly as long as you put the control channels where they belonged it worked great. I thought I only put the frequencies in for the Central Troop but I also heard quite a bit of the melee the night the protesters blocked 93 in Boston. I downloaded everything with ProScan for the 996P2 (I hope) that I needed. I noticed when I tried to upload it to the scanner quite often I'd have to break it down into fewer groups in more systems. I thought I could fit the entire Worcester County download in one system but the program created too many groups of frequencies (over 20) so I had to edit it down to "S Worcester Cty". I think I'll break the SP systems I made down further, maybe that'll do the trick.
Sponsored links
Old 10-13-2017, 10:32 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

For Northbridge you need to ensure you have Zone 8 enabled.
Make sure you have all the Control Channels and Alternates for that Zone and you should be back in Operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by impalafarmer View Post
I live in central MA, in Worcester County in a town called Northbridge in the Blackstone River Valley. Last time I had a trunking scanner in 2015 it was a BCT-15 and still received the State Troopers. I programmed it in my lap, if I remember correctly as long as you put the control channels where they belonged it worked great. I thought I only put the frequencies in for the Central Troop but I also heard quite a bit of the melee the night the protesters blocked 93 in Boston. I downloaded everything with ProScan for the 996P2 (I hope) that I needed. I noticed when I tried to upload it to the scanner quite often I'd have to break it down into fewer groups in more systems. I thought I could fit the entire Worcester County download in one system but the program created too many groups of frequencies (over 20) so I had to edit it down to "S Worcester Cty". I think I'll break the SP systems I made down further, maybe that'll do the trick.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:48 PM

You can always send the scanner to Scannermaster, they can program it for you.

Tags
massachusetts, police, state