External base station antenna for my BCD996P2 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbige

Hi
School was a long time ago and my brain is mush so I have a Newbie question about a base station antenna frequency range and the local frequency range.
I would like to get an external base station antenna for my BCD996P2 the antenna that came with the unit works OK but the neighborhood I live in is kinda hit or miss with that type of antenna (at least with my old scanner)
The frequency's range from 046.000 to 465.6000 these are the numbers that I enter when programming
now for the antenna question I have seen some on Amazon like this (Tram 1410 Broad Band Discone/Scanner Base Antenna 25 to1300 MHz.-- Wide Band Receive from 25 to 1300 MHz)

would this cover the frequency range 046/465?
then there are a couple antennas that cover the
100-2000 MHz range
what should I look for that would work for me and my scanners capability
also when running the cable through the wall to the scanner I know that there is a special connector used to attach it. Is there a special tool required to put the connector on the cable end? Like the one used to put the TV fitting on with. Or do I have to drill a bigger hole? What if my cable is too long?
Thank you

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Hi
School was a long time ago and my brain is mush so I have a Newbie question about a base station antenna frequency range and the local frequency range.
I would like to get an external base station antenna for my BCD996P2 the antenna that came with the unit works OK but the neighborhood I live in is kinda hit or miss with that type of antenna (at least with my old scanner)
The frequency's range from 046.000 to 465.6000 these are the numbers that I enter when programming
now for the antenna question I have seen some on Amazon like this (Tram 1410 Broad Band Discone/Scanner Base Antenna 25 to1300 MHz.-- Wide Band Receive from 25 to 1300 MHz)

100-2000 MHz range
also when running the cable through the wall to the scanner I know that there is a special connector used to attach it. Is there a special tool required to put the connector on the cable end? Like the one used to put the TV fitting on with. Or do I have to drill a bigger hole? What if my cable is too long?
Thank you

Yes a 25-1300Mhz antenna will cover 46-465Mhz. The antenna connector on your radio is a BNC connector. Super common and can be solder, crimp, or twist on. You can also buy pre terminated cables if youre not comfortable terminating it yourself. A little extra length isn't going to hurt anything but you don't want an excessively long cable. I'm not the biggest fan of tram antennas. Personally I would go with a diamond. They make a wideband discone that works well. But there's tons of posts about which antenna is best. Also don't go cheap on the coax, especially

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Hi

100-2000 MHz range
Thank you

Yes a 25-1300Mhz antenna will cover 46-465Mhz. The antenna connector on your radio is a BNC connector. Super common and can be solder, crimp, or twist on. You can also buy pre terminated cables if youre not comfortable terminating it yourself. A little extra length isn't going to hurt anything but you don't want an excessively long cable. I'm not the biggest fan of tram antennas. Personally I would go with a diamond. They make a wideband discone that works well. But there's tons of posts about which antenna is best. Also don't go cheap on the coax, especially if you're going much distance. As for drilling a bigger hole, if you buy ap re terminated cable you'll need a bigger hole for the connector to fit through.

Ubbe

Get CATV RG6 cable double/tripple/quad shielded and get twist on F connectors for it. No crimp tool or expensive connectors needed. There are 4 different sizes for F connector to suit the different diameters of shielding. Get adapters for F to BNC and to whatever the antenna needs. You cut the cable and twist on the connector. There's no moving parts and connectors can twist off and on as many times as you like, if you twist off the connector and push the cable thru a hole and then twist it on again. The cable is low loss and lenght doesn't matter much if you keep it less than 30 feet at 800MHz.

RG6 is cheap and F connectors very cheap and performs almost as good as expensive LMR400 and neccesary crimp connectors and tools. It's so easy to modify and expand your antenna system if you choose RG6.

/Ubbe

pbige

Wow Thank you for the reply's
This is what I plan on ordering: TII Network Technologies 212FF75F225-21 75 Ohm Female To Female Connector Lightning Surge Protector Coaxial Cable,
Diamond Original D3000N Super Discone Antenna, 50ft Quad Shield Indoor Outdoor SOLID COPPER RG-6 Coaxial Cable 3Ghz 75 Ohm.
and the connectors. Am I missing anything?
Thank You again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.