New Riq Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1JWJ

I am a relatively (2 year old) new ham and am currently utilizing an old IC-735. Although it still works (a few glitches), I am looking to do a modest upgrade. Have been trying to compare the IC-718, IC-7200 and the FT-450.

First, I am and old guy (73). I do a fair amount of digital and some SSB Phone. I do not contest. I have fat hands. I am not a fan of 20 deep menus and itty bitty buttons and knobs. So, ergonomics is a factor. The larger the display, the better for my old eyes. I do not do CW. I don’t know if I’d like 6M or not.

Icom has the advantage of allowing me to utilize my SM-20 desk mic.

Price is a consideration.

So, amongst the radios listed, your thoughts? And/or, if there are rigs I should be looking at (in the same general price range), throw them out at me.

I am greatly appreciative for any and all suggestions and input.

Jeff
K1JWJ

N9RMA

Jeff. Look at the ICOM 7300.Nice rig with a built in sound card if you are into digital. Simple to hook up with a USB A to USB B cable to your computer. Display is a little weak but a cheap flat screen [120$] from Wally World works great. CU on the bands 73 Bob N9RMA

K1JWJ

Dollars???

Jeff. Look at the ICOM 7300.Nice rig with a built in sound card if you are into digital. Simple to hook up with a USB A to USB B cable to your computer. Display is a little weak but a cheap flat screen [120$] from Wally World works great. CU on the bands 73 Bob N9RMA

Nice rig, but a bit more than I was hoping to $pend!

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I know it wasn't on your list, but look at the Alinco SR8-T transceiver. It is easy to operate, has a decent size readable display and is within your price range. Add the LDG Al-100 tuner and you have a complete station. I've had one for several years and have no serious complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.