Uniden BCD536HP vs Whistler TRX-2 need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

cms1528

I'm just getting back into the scanner hobby and this is my first post. I've really enjoyed seeing the growth and advancement of this hobby over the many years. It's going to be a bit of a learning curve for me but I'm coming along thus far. I've especially enjoyed reading the vast knowledge people have on this forum.

So I'm looking at and considering the radios mentioned in the title and I would really appreciate your opinions. I know, asking which is better or picking one over the other is an open ended question. I've been reading and searching through the forum and I'm trying to get some insight because I'm on the fence about both. I've read both owner's manuals and know what both offer. I just need your opinions to help me over the fence so to speak.

What do you think are their strongest or weakest points etc., things like that. Any help you offer is greatly appreciated.

troymail

Silent Key
Having lived in central Maryland for nearly all of my life (recently moved to NC) - depending upon where you live and what you want to monitor - digital simulcast is going to be the biggest problem you might need to deal with. The rest of the responses you receive will simply be "buy this or that" because that is what that user likes. It's no different than buying a car or other product where you have choices.

First - where in Maryland are you located? What do you want to listen to?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The GPS-based scanning offered by the Unidens is a big advantage if you ever scan in a vehicle. It eliminates the need to manually toggle stuff on and off while driving.

Neither the Unider or the Whistler is perfect handling simulcast, but IMO Uniden has a slight edge there.

Unidens are also better at handling interference from adjacent frequencies. I live less than 1/4 mile from a pager/cell tower, and have an ST-2 on a 30' mast with a clear line of sight to the tower, and rarely note any desense or interference from the pager transmitter.

If you get the Provoice and DMR upgrades, the Uniden costs more than the Whistler, but IMO it's worth it.

cms1528

where in Maryland are you located? What do you want to listen to?

Baltimore area, I know from my reading digital simulcast will be an issue. Baltimore Co. go that route if I recall and I would like to listen to them especially. I'll likely focus my attention on public safety and related agencies in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.