Hello,

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooCoo

well police. but basically anything i can reach, i stumbled apon what i think is a ham system
i have a Retevis rt6 hheld that i would like to talk back with but cant figure it out ,,
my monitoring is on a ws1065

all help would be great

nd5y

i stumbled apon what i think is a ham system
i have a Retevis rt6 hheld that i would like to talk back with but cant figure it out
You may not realize it but you can't legally talk to hams without having an amateur radio license and that Retevis radio probably isn't FCC certified to transmit on any other frequencies.

wbswetnam

You may not realize it but you can't legally talk to hams without having an amateur radio license and that Retevis radio probably isn't FCC certified to transmit on any other frequencies.

ND5Y is correct, you cannot attempt to communicate with other ham radio operators over the radio until you have a license. However, it is not difficult to get a tech license. Your local amateur radio club can help you with that.

The Whistler 1065 can be a tricky scanner to program, especially if you try to do it through the keyboard (yuck!). It can be done, but it is much better to get the programming cable and software. Personally, I'd recommend that you dump it on eBay and buy a Home Patrol 1. They sell on Amazon for about $300.

troymail

Silent Key
Well..... before you go out and spend hundreds of dollars, you probably want to play a bit with your WS1065....

It can be a bit tedious programming it through the keyboard and for other than basic old conventional channels, I don't recommend it.

Here's some documentation:

Easier to Read Pro-651/652/106/197 - WS1040/1065 - PSR 500/600 Digital Scanner Manual

You'll want the programming cable and something like Win500 (free download for 30 days I believe and then only something like $30 for a license). From there, you can do some semi-manually programming with the software and your PC keyboard. Or go one step further and get a premium license from this site for a few bucks to transfer data directly from the database here into your programming software.

Assuming you are in and want to listen to St. Joseph's County stuff, you can find alot of that here:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=763

From there, it gets a bit more complicated:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8084

If you have hundreds of dollars and want a new radio that might be easier to program, go for it. There are lots of options.

Still, I'd think you'd be better off starting with what you already have....

Last edited:

CooCoo

yes i did read something along the line of licensing and the repercussions of not having it,,the mickey mouse two way Retevis RT6 looks and feels nice, i mean it"s heavy and well built for china that is. it is programmable and i just think i have a TX setting wrong is to why they can"t hear me. when i"m on the same channel on the ws1065 monitoring when i key the Retevis RT6 i get a series of beeps through only what i can assume is the positive connect signal to the frequency (or tower)as i am hearing it through the scanner as well. The scanner is fun but that"s one thing i would like to broaden my horizons at least in my area.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Technically, you're not even allowed to transmit at all, and that includes pushing the transmit button, whether you talk with anyone or not. If you want to broaden your horizons, as you say, go ahead and get your amateur license. As others said, it's not difficult and it doesn't cost much.

CooCoo

Roger that, KK4JUG i will i want to be legal by all means

as for programming the ws1065 i found it to be not that hard once you get the sequence down just time consuming. i did find win500 works for me but it has its quirks "but i am running on 30 day still" full version will be bought.

thanxs for input --wbswetnam-- i only paid 245.00 for it new and found it going for 3-4 hundred they might be gougers though. i figured i bought a mid entry level scanner i wont be gettin rid of it without a loss , the next will more certainly be capable of phase 2&1 do they make a trx-1 but in a base? or should i go uniden they seem to be the high dog on the hill?

Status
Not open for further replies.