Uniden BCD436HP Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamahar16

As per previous post. I am new to the radio group. I recently purchased a Uniden scanner, and some tips and tricks would be much appreciated. I am slowly learning how to properly use the radio, but I am unsure how it exactly works.. understand for analog, to properly program, you need a frequency and system type. But once involving digital systems or diff system types, things change. Also unsure of what exactly things mean (tgid, some other settings).

Playing around with it, I know how to scan (fm, am and nfm) types but how do I program it to search for other audio types or system type etc. Thank you. Again, I'm a newb.

Renetti

Premium Subscriber
Did you ever get any help on this? I am looking for someone to help me program my BCD436HP for P25-1. Any veteran users see this please feel free to reach out.

Yamahar16

Unfortunately no.. I did however find some "general "radio programming for idiots"" pdf files that sorda help too understand how the radio works. Although each radio differ... so it's more for generic use and reference which is hard for us.. because we're newbs

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
As per previous post. I am new to the radio group. I recently purchased a Uniden scanner, and some tips and tricks would be much appreciated. I am slowly learning how to properly use the radio, but I am unsure how it exactly works.. understand for analog, to properly program, you need a frequency and system type. But once involving digital systems or diff system types, things change. Also unsure of what exactly things mean (tgid, some other settings).

Playing around with it, I know how to scan (fm, am and nfm) types but how do I program it to search for other audio types or system type etc. Thank you. Again, I'm a newb.
Yamahar,
Start with this:
BCD436HP and BCD536HP Scanner FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

Also see Trunking Basics - The RadioReference Wiki
and How it Works: Location, Location, Location
Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual
BCDX36HP Sentinel Software Manual

There are also a number of YouTube videos, such as ▶ Uniden Bearcat BCD536HP Favorite List Programming - YouTube
and ▶ BCDx36HP Sentinel Creating Custom Favorites List - YouTube
also UnidenUpman's Channel - YouTube

What is your location? City (or County) and State?

Many of the terms that you are unfamiliar with are described in the Wiki,
such as TGID.

Yamahar16

Thank for the reply. Yes I find videos "YouTube" helps alot. I learn visually. But yes I will definitely read into the additional links thank you!

I am located in Victoria, British Columbia in Canada.

And precisely TGID or how talkgroups work with a repeater and so on. I need to read and get to understand how it works so I can properly program the radio!

Yamahar16

A Question still remains open of how to specifically search for "talkgroup ids" within a frequency?

Better yet, how do I set up the scanner to scan and search every frequency, every type of system ect?

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
A Question still remains open of how to specifically search for "talkgroup ids" within a frequency?
Are you actually meaning ;'search for every talkgroup ID on a trunked system? While some DMR frequencies carry more than one talkgroup, those, in effect, are 'One Frequency Trunked' systems.

For a trunked system, once you have the correct system type created, along with the needed frequencies, scanning that system in ID Search mode will get you all active talkgroup ID's. Those that you already have entered will show the associated text tag. Those that are not part of your system details will display only the talkgroup ID itself, not a text tag. ID Search scans and receives any active talkgroup, as long as that talkgroup is not already programmed and set as locked out (avoided is the term used for the 436HP), and also the TGID cannot be in a Department that is locked out (Avoided).
On the other hand, ID Scan stops on and receives only active talkgroups that are programmed in the system, and not locked out or in a Department that is locked out.

The same rules for ID Search vs ID Scan also apply to a system set up as a One Frequency Trunked System.
Better yet, how do I set up the scanner to scan and search every frequency, every type of system ect?
You can set up a custom search, within a specific range of frequencies, either in Sentinel, or on the scanner itself.

Yamahar16

For a trunked system, once you have the correct system type created, along with the needed frequencies, scanning that system in ID Search mode will get you all active talkgroup ID's.
The same rules for ID Search vs ID Scan also apply to a system set up as a One Frequency Trunked System.
search, within a specific range of frequencies, either in Sentinel, or on the scanner itself.

Ok so once correct system created I wish to scan... how do I know the needed frequencies? Is their a input reference?

Basically I want to find any signals, not yet saved to device or already uploaded to Radio Reference. Thank you.

Also how do you verify "avoided" frequencies? As I wish to make sure everything is open.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Ok so once correct system created I wish to scan... how do I know the needed frequencies? Is their a input reference?

Basically I want to find any signals, not yet saved to device or already uploaded to Radio Reference. Thank you.

Also how do you verify "avoided" frequencies? As I wish to make sure everything is open.
If it is for a system that is already in the database, but perhaps with not all talkgroups listed, the frequencies would be documented in the system details.

But if you are during a random search of a frequency range, there is nothing that will positively specify what you are hearing. You can start by looking at the licensing data for your area, then setting your frequency range search to include them. Once you find an active frequency, look at the licensing for clues as to who it may be. However, just because a user is licensed for a given set of frequencies, that does not guarantee that they are being used. Perhaps they are maintaining a license for frequencies they used to occupy, but are not actively using. Or, they may have gotten a license for a future use.

The only way you'll be able to verify specific users is by listening for a period of time, that period being determined in part by how actively the channel is being used. Also, you'll have to determine if all usage is the same entity, or more than one. Many of the business frequencies in my area are licensed to several different companies, so it's a judgement call as to who I may actually be hearing. There's nothing that is going to magically pop up on your scanner with all the missing information.

So what, exactly, is your goal? If it is to document every possible user and their frequencies in your area, then that's a project that may never end. New licenses are applied for and issued regularly. Some are put to use immediately, some not. If you are in a fair sized metro area, then there are many more possibilities that will require long, patient research.

You would be better served by focusing on a specific company, or agency, and trying to figure out the details for usage. Listen to what's being said in transmissions, what does the conversation seem to refer to.

Status
Not open for further replies.