BCD436HP Programming Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renetti

Premium Subscriber
Asked a few questions on the purchase help threads and finally got a bcd436hp. I selected this model because my area is on APCO 25 phase1. I have the DMR/moto update and have tried importing the RR data to a new favorite list and I am showing it is scanning local channels but I have heard no traffic in seven days. I have tried adding by zip and no luck either. Any help programming would be greatly appreciated. I am willing to give remote access to my PC so I can see what I have done wrong and learn a better and right way to do things I think.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Asked a few questions on the purchase help threads and finally got a bcd436hp. I selected this model because my area is on APCO 25 phase1. I have the DMR/moto update and have tried importing the RR data to a new favorite list and I am showing it is scanning local channels but I have heard no traffic in seven days. I have tried adding by zip and no luck either. Any help programming would be greatly appreciated. I am willing to give remote access to my PC so I can see what I have done wrong and learn a better and right way to do things I think.
Did you do a master database update in Sentinel before trying to scan?
If not, the database is probably way out of date.

Did you write the database to the scanner (after updating)?

Verify that your location is entered correctly in the scanner as well as in Sentinel. If you manually entered any channels or systems, instead of appending from the database, are you using location control on the Favorites list?

Check your service types. By default, the only actives are Dispatch (Law Dispatch, Fire Dispatch, EMS Dispatch, and Multi-Dispatch). Also eable the Tac & Talk service types (Law Talk, Fire Tac, etc)

If you are using a Favorites list, attach that to a post so that someone can take a look. To do that:
If possible, use Sentinel to "read from scanner" if you have made changes on the scanner that were not also made in Sentinel.
Then, export the resulting Favorites list(s) into an *.hpe file. Then, attach that to a post and upload so that we can take a peek & see if anything is out of place. The Export is listed under the File drop-down menu.

Note: To upload an *.hpe file, to the Forums, you must change the file extension to one acceptable per forum requirements. To do that, note where your exported *.hpe file is saved on your PC.
Using Windows Explorer, find the file.
There are two ways to do this. You can either change the file extension itself, or compress the file using 7-Zip or other file utility. The *.zip file extension can be attached to a post and uploaded to the Forums.

Or, using Windows Explorer, rename your file one of these two ways:
For illustration, let's call your exported file 'MyFile.hpe' (without the quotes).
<Right><Click> on the file & choose Rename from the pop-up menu.
You can then rename your file to MyFile.txt, or MyFile.hpe.txt in order to attach it to a post. Whoever views the file will need to reset the file name back to MyFile.hpe, then it can be imported into Sentinel for viewing.

Renetti

Premium Subscriber
I absolutely updated the database right after making sure my firmware was on the latest version.

I only care about hearing Baldwin County SO, PD, FD, and GCSU Dispatch, Tac, and talk.

My father-in-law works for an emergency services crew that responds to needs in the area and since they went digital his old scanner no longer works. I really want to get this new unit up and running as our entire family really wants to know what is going on.

I have attached the .hpd file as requested and changed to .zip. Thanks again for all the help.

Attachments

• 01.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 9

troymail

Silent Key
It took a bit of troubleshooting but I was finally able to load up your file.

On quick check, I can't say much about the conventional stuff yet but as for the trunking stuff....

You'd probably be better suited importing the entire Oconee Areawide Radio System (OARS) system and then possibly locking out or deleting sites and talkgroups you don't want to listen to.

Next, the frequencies for the Baldwin site look a bit suspect and/or incomplete. Normally, you'd see a primary (RED) and at least one or more alternate (BLUE) control channel frequencies for a system/site. If you don't do the above I would at least put ALL five of the Baldwin site frequencies into your configuration and not just 770.60625.

Also, adding more talkgroups would help determine if you are receiving the system (back to the suggestion above).

I see a considerable amount of encryption on the system as well although not necessarily for what you are trying to monitor. Still, given there is only one talkgroup listed for Baldwin County Fire is a bit suspicious. One of the downsides of the Uniden scanners is that if there is encryption in use, you won't know it with this type of system - you just won't hear anything.

The one thing I will mention about the conventional DMR channels is I don't know what this means (posted on the RRDB with the frequencies):

The Baldwin TRBO is undergoing configuration changes.​

There may be other issues - simulcast being one - but let's take a step at a time.

Renetti

Premium Subscriber
All service types are active. I have imported the entire OARS DB as well as the neighboring county just to see if I get any hits. I get continued static from Hancock county fire tac, but that's it. I am beyound frustrated at this point. lol Feel like I just wasted $500.

troymail

Silent Key
It could just be a bad radio (it happens) but some other things to try -- usually the first thing we usually try is receiving a weather broadcast.

Go into the menu on the radio and select WX Operation and Weather Scan.... while not a guaranteed 100% test (like in my area), you should hear a weather broadcast.

Renetti

Premium Subscriber
Weather is listed as 162.5250MHz CH7 FM and I have been monitoring for a few min without any luck. How often does the system broadcast or is it continuous?

Also I tried a discovery scan for both conv and trunk within DB listed ranges and not a single hit.

Bad Radio? Really?

troymail

Silent Key
Before I moved 6 months ago, I receive weather broadcasts without any antenna - it was that strong. Where I live now, I hardly receive anything at all - so, as stated, that is no longer (to me anyway) a solid test.

The next thing I try (you may have done it already) for a test (unless you live out in the middle of nowhere like me (ok, I'm not really in the middle of nowhere but there is still pretty limited stuff here) -- you've said you have the latest database installed on the radio.... and have all service types enabled...

Enter your zip code and let it enable the full database....then also open the range up (default is 20 and if it is still 20 that should be more than enough).

If the radio stops on something and it is just static (like a CB channel or something, etc.) just hit Avoid to ignore that (or the System button then Avoid to avoid that entire system or DEPT then Avoid, etc.).

After that, you might set up a custom search across something like 150-170 Mhz or 769-866 Mhz and see if you hit on anything.

We're just trying to get the radio to receive something.....

One physical thing you can try is to remove the antenna and make sure the little "pin" inside the connector on the antenna is in place and not damaged....

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Weather is listed as 162.5250MHz CH7 FM and I have been monitoring for a few min without any luck. How often does the system broadcast or is it continuous?

Also I tried a discovery scan for both conv and trunk within DB listed ranges and not a single hit.

Bad Radio? Really?
Have you tried 162.450, NWS in Sandersville? That shows to be an alternate site that also includes your county.

Except for occasional down time for maintence, or a repair, NWS frequencies normally transmit continuously.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I absolutely updated the database right after making sure my firmware was on the latest version.

I only care about hearing Baldwin County SO, PD, FD, and GCSU Dispatch, Tac, and talk.

My father-in-law works for an emergency services crew that responds to needs in the area and since they went digital his old scanner no longer works. I really want to get this new unit up and running as our entire family really wants to know what is going on.

I have attached the .hpd file as requested and changed to .zip. Thanks again for all the help.
By chance, have you had the scanner near your father in law's radio when he transmitted on his system? Near another user's radio, when he or she transmitted? That can cause damage, even if the scanner is turned off.
All service types are active. I have imported the entire OARS DB as well as the neighboring county just to see if I get any hits. I get continued static from Hancock county fire tac, but that's it. I am beyound frustrated at this point. lol Feel like I just wasted $500.

Renetti;2849779 Also I tried a discovery scan for both conv and trunk within DB listed ranges and not a single hit. Bad Radio? Really?[/QUOTE said:
Which antenna are you using? and have you tried a different one?

DMR Upgrade yes/no? (Disregard. I see your comment in another thread that you have the DMR Upgrade.)

Did you get the scanner new in box, from a dealer? or from eBay or another user? While it is not common, it is at least possible that there is something wrong with your specific scanner.

When you do a search, you are not hearing anything? And are you seeing any indication on the scanner that is receiving anything at all, such as signal strength bars on the display?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.