Getting A New Scanner Tomorrow!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdeslaur

Hello everyone!

I am getting my first scanner tomorrow and I couldn't be more excited! It will be a Uniden BC125AT. My question to everyone is what you suggest I do to get started? Is there any preparations I should make before it arrives? I have been searching frequencies that I can use. So far I have my awesome hospital's paging and helicopter frequency (thanks to my amazing nurse I had during my last hospital stay. I've been in the hospital for 2 months and I just got out yesterday!) I have also looked at the frequencies for my area on RadioReference. The police department here hasn't switched to an encrypted solution yet, so I'm in luck. I am in Baltimore City County in Maryland, if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance and happy holidays!

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Glad to hear you left the hospital and are getting a new scanner. Only things I can add are to check the frequencies listed in the RadioReference forum for your area and to do searches using your scanner for active frequencies.

Best regards and enjoy your new scanner.

NYRHKY94

Congrats on the new scanner. Not from your area but a quick check of the Radio Reference database shows that the majority of the Police & Fire in Baltimore County & Baltimore City are on a P25 Phase 1 system. While the BC125AT is a very nice analog scanner, unfortunately it won't be able to receive the P25 systems as they require a digital scanner. See the links below. Hope this is helpful:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7117

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6906

troymail

Silent Key
Congrats on the new scanner. Not from your area but a quick check of the Radio Reference database shows that the majority of the Police & Fire in Baltimore County & Baltimore City are on a P25 Phase 1 system. While the BC125AT is a very nice analog scanner, unfortunately it won't be able to receive the P25 systems as they require a digital scanner. See the links below. Hope this is helpful:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7117

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6906

Unfortunately, having recently moved to North Carolina after living and working (and retiring) in the Baltimore area, it is true that most jurisdictions in the central Maryland area are not only on trunk systems but digital as well.

If it is an option - before even opening the box - you'll probably want to look at returning it and getting a digital/P25 capable trunking scanner.

Having said that, depending upon where you are and what you want to listen to, your scanner may encounter problems receiving these systems. But one step at a time...

Happy to help guide you in any way I can.

bdeslaur

I see...

Thank you for the information, you two! I looked into the things I wanted to receive in my area and this scanner appears to be a perfect choice for what I would like. I’m just starting this out just for a fun hobby that will encourage me to get out and explore more. Are there any fun things to do with the scanner when walking around my neighborhoods? I have a gigantic park (with a lake, ice skating rink, dog park, pagoda, and at least a mile wide full of trees and trails) that I can explore more to pick up different signals. My police stations should work on the scanner from what I read. I wanted a nicer one, but I’m stopping myself from spending my money too quickly, so I just got a decent low-mid range scanner. I’m just going to explore the frequencies and find some cool stuff to listen to. :)

Any suggestions as to what I should look for would be great! Thank you!

NYRHKY94

bdeslaur:

Glad to hear you are excited about using your new scanner. If you already haven't done so, I would recommend you review all of the available frequencies listed in the database here for Baltimore county & city (links below). This will give you a pretty good starting point for what your scanner can receive. It appears that all of the police departments in your county & city are on a digital P25 system, assuming the database is accurate. You would need a digital scanner to receive them. Can you share what police, fire & EMS departments you want to listen to? We could help more with that information.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1191#cid-1081

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1212

bdeslaur

I am picking up a few different police stations on the Svc feature. They are quite quiet, so I bet a digital scanner is what is needed. I have picked up some HAM radio stations, and that’s been awesome! I’m happy with the scanner overall. I just wish I could figure out how to input a specific frequency I would like to listen to and have it tune in to that. I am able to scan the Svc banks (pre-labeled police, fire, HAM, etc) without trouble. I can’t seem to figure out the previous question though. I also figured out how to program the device from the computer, and I can’t figure out how to scan those either. Perhaps I should put these two questions in the Uniden sub-forum on this forum? Thanks everyone!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Send the 125 back, and get one that does digital trunking. Otherwise all you will hear is ham repeaters, aircraft, fast food drive throughs, kids on walkie talkies, and possibly some EMS dispatch IF they patch to an analog freq for paging purposes. All the good stuff is on digital trunked systems. 436HP, HomePatrol 2, or something along those lines.

mattw19781

AMATEUR RADIO OPERATOR KN4VLT
glad to hear your feeling better and that you got yourself a new/first scanner you picked a great one i'v had one for about 1 month and just love it like everyone else i would say look on radio reference for freqs for your local area
good luck with your new scanner
matthew

bdeslaur

Well that stinks! I was hoping that I'd get some fun out of the scanner. I've picked up some crossing guards a few times on it, but since it's not digital, no police stations :(

I suppose I'll wait until after Christmas and then buy the HomePatrol. I'm honestly still having fun just searching thru the channels.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Scan125

I'm no scanner expert, despite writing Scan125.

However I'll point out that above 30MHz the RF traffic becomes progressively "line of sight" regarding reception.

Point of interest/confirmation is that the Civil Air Band at 118MHz transmission can be readily received from airborne planes but the reciprocal ground based connecting transmissions often remain absent.

Fundamental to all RF communications, be they active transmissions or passive listening (read including all scanners) is that the signals have, by their nature/characteristics (frequency, modulation, power, etc) a limited zone of operation/reception.

It is important that both listeners and broadcasters understand the "medium" they are using and offer no more and expect no more than that can be delivered by the chosen medium.

Medium = VLF, LF, HF, VHF, UHF, Microwave etc. and then on into "light" transmissions from visible to invisible....

Beyond medium then we get into "type" of data. Audio, Digital, etc.

As a listening receiver only those signals (frequency, modulation, digital, elevation, power, etc) that are compatible with your distance and reception equipment capabilities, distance, elevation, etc. will be receivable.

To receive nothing is not an indication that your kit is crap!

scannersnstuff

Get a bcd325p2. It's the digital brother of the bc125at,on steroid's .Pm,me off list, if you have any question's/need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.