Cannot hear broadcasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotsavannahs

Premium Subscriber
I can only hear noaa broadcasts on my baofang handheld. I have attempted to enter in manually multiple frequencies that are local to my area.

Is there something basic that I am missing?

HotSavannahs in Texas

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I can only hear noaa broadcasts on my baofang handheld. I have attempted to enter in manually multiple frequencies that are local to my area.

Is there something basic that I am missing?

HotSavannahs in Texas
Welcome to RadioReference, HotSavannahs

In order to help you identify the issue, you would need to advise the system(s) you are trying to receive, or the area where you are located. City (or County) in Texas would help. Add your location to your profile. That way, someone can see what systems are in use there. You might also specify the model of your radio, so that it's capabilities vs the frequencies in your proximity can be compared.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
NOAA weather broadcasts are usually easy to pick up since they are running fairly high power transmitters in most parts of the country. At least that tells you that the radio is working correctly.

You exact location, as Steve requested, would let us know who it is you are attempting to receive. These radios are not compatible with all public safety radio systems.

Also, the stock antennas usually leave quite a bit to be desired.

hotsavannahs

Premium Subscriber
I am located in San Antonio, Bexar, Texas. Using a baofeng bf-f8hp. Mainly wanting to monitor local police, emergency channels

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am located in San Antonio, Bexar, Texas. Using a baofeng bf-f8hp. Mainly wanting to monitor local police, emergency channels
Looking at Bexar County in the database, there is very little that you can monitor with that radio. It's not a trunking radio, which is what you need for that area, and can only receive Vhf-high or Uhf channels. While there are a few listed for your county, the majority of public safety users (fire/police/ems) are on this trunked system:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=1434

Some of the smaller cities are on the LCRA system.

The San Antonio/Bexar County system is EDACS with ProVoice, so you would need one of the Uniden scanners that can be upgraded for ProVoice. That system is also on 800MHz, which is also beyond the capabilities of your Baefong.

The LCRA system is digital (your radio is analog only) and also uses 700 & 800MHz frequencies (again, which your radio cannot handle).

If you try and program some of the few Vhf or Uhf frequencies, be absolutely sure that you do not try and transmit on them (your radio is capable of that). That will buy you more trouble than you can stand if transmitting.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The BCD436HP is capable of receiving the LCRA P25 system out of the box, no paid update required. The scanner has the entire RadioReference database loaded on a micro-SD memory card, and can be programmed by loction. Or, use the Sentinel software & make a Favorites list with only what you want to hear.

Another handheld option is the BCD325P2, This is a smaller, 'pocket friendly' sized scanner that also can receive the LCRA system. Unlike the 436HP, it does not have the database loaded on a card. You would need to program it.

In order to receive the San Antonio/Bexar County EDACS/ProVoice system with either of the above scanners, you would need to purchase the ProVoice upgrade from Uniden.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Of the two, I would recommend the 436, especially if you travel. It has a nationwide database of frequencies which is updated weekly, and its design is better suited to handle large trunked systems with lots of sites and talkgroups. The nationwide database is tagged with locations and service areas for each entry, so if you connect a GPS to your scanner (or have one installed internally), you can drive anywhere in the USA or Canada, and the scanner will automatically turn channels on and off so you are always scanning local traffic without having to manually toggle anything on and off while driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.