WHISTLER 1065 Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldryder1973

OK. I have never considered myself stupid but ...

got the 1065 for Xmas. Quickly realized I needed software to program it. Bought ARC500 software CD direct from Butel. Got it today.

Figured I'd load the programming software, it would recognize the scanner, download from RRef website and be in business.

So ... seems I need a a COM port driver but the only files on the CD are for older versions of Windows even though CD cover says Win XP .../7/8/10). (My OS is Win10). Tried anyway with XP version. No joy.

ARC500 manual doesn't load; gives an error. Now I'm frustrated.

Looking for advice and maybe a link to a "how to".

Thanks to anyone taking pity on this rookie.

Mark in MN

ps. I also still get "time restricted demo version" when restarting the ARC500 program even tho I entered the 2 software keys.

oldryder1973

Win500 is communicating

OK. Win500 is talking to the scanner. (Haven't figured out why ARC500 won't.)

Bought the subscription to RR.com but the process for downloading the RR database escapes me. On the download page for my county I see an Excel file and 3 additional PDF files.

what is the process for getting the RR database into the scanner?

thanks for your patience.

MArk in MN

troymail

Silent Key
OK. Win500 is talking to the scanner. (Haven't figured out why ARC500 won't.)

Bought the subscription to RR.com but the process for downloading the RR database escapes me. On the download page for my county I see an Excel file and 3 additional PDF files.

what is the process for getting the RR database into the scanner?

thanks for your patience.

MArk in MN

Choose download of trunked or conventional system data.

Select County, State and County.... then system data to import.

If you select a trunked system, be sure to select at least one site and then the talkgroups you want to import.

Select Import this system.

Accept the defaults for now ...

Experiment --

oldryder1973

Making progress. Some success selecting Sites and Talk Groups and uploading but still getting the "Nothing Enabled" message. Would like to purge the memory on the 1065 and start over but not sure how.

thx
Mark in MN

oldryder1973

Can't clear memory ...

"Check your owner's manual, page 52."

When cycling the power on the 1065 I don't get the "Welcome/Owner" screen so I am unable to initiate the procedure to reset the scanner.

Cycling power the scanner gives a brief "FTGA S top line, Welcome to Object ... Whistler." then "Scanning" then a "G" top of screen left of center and the "Nothing Enabled" message.

Tried cycling power with/without PC connection. No difference.

I'll get this eventually. Thx for help.

mark in MN

troymail

Silent Key

When cycling the power on the 1065 I don't get the "Welcome/Owner" screen so I am unable to initiate the procedure to reset the scanner.

Cycling power the scanner gives a brief "FTGA S top line, Welcome to Object ... Whistler." then "Scanning" then a "G" top of screen left of center and the "Nothing Enabled" message.

mark in MN

Did you press "0" when the Welcome message appeared?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

mark in MN

As in the instructions on that page, press the "zero" key when you see the "Welcome".

troymail

Silent Key
Curious -- sounds like you were able to get some programming into Win500 from the RRDB/library... I saw no mention that you then transferred the programming to the radio (maybe you did but just didn't mention it).

Library imports default to scanlist 1 which should be enabled by default.

There's probably two main reasons you'd still be seeing "Nothing Enabled"

- you didn't import at least 1 system site

- you didn't transfer the configuration to the scanner

lou9155

Making progress. Some success selecting Sites and Talk Groups and uploading but still getting the "Nothing Enabled" message. Would like to purge the memory on the 1065 and start over but not sure how.

thx
Mark in MN
every new user 1065.1040 does this ...you hit the download to scanner instead of upload to scanner

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The 'Nothing Enabled' message is covered in section 5 of the Win500 article from UtahRadio, the link for which I gave earlier. Even if you're not using this software, it should give you a lead as to what to deo

Mike

oldryder1973

Success. Unit is scanning. I was a bit too literal looking for "Welcome/Owner" when all I needed was "Welcome".

Still a lot more to learn. Working my way thru the manual. How might I find a local scanner guru to coach me on which of the vast number of possibilities I want to listen to (or maybe clone his set-up)? There are many many channels and talk groups.

ka3jjz (Mike) Thx. the UtahRadio link was especially helpful.

troymail

Silent Key
...and remember, if some or all of this is new to you (or maybe your getting back into the hobby after being away for a while), there is a pretty good amount of learning that needs to be done - from (trunking) systems and sites, talkgroups (vs. simple conventional frequencies), various models of radios/scanners, programming software, RRDB subscriptions ... it's alot to take in.

Don't assume your programming will be "one and done". Alot of the hobby is figuring all of this out - and it will take time. The more you play and don't fear losing anything (you can't as long as you don't do alot of customization - at least don't do that right away), the easier and better it will be.

Keep in mind that customization of your programming takes you off the main road - once you've gone down that road, you're on your own when it comes to making updates to the programming - software might "assist" at that point but can't take the place of that manual programming.

The hobby can be frustrating at times (just like anything else) but it is certainly more fun than when I was a teen asking someone to drive me to a store on the other side of town to buy crystals for my 8 channel scanner!

Play! Experiment! Have Patience! Have fun!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
We don't know where Avon is; if it's in the States, we have numerous US state forums that would be the place to go to find someone who is local. We also have a couple of Canadian forums, and the others are rather less populated.

An additional suggestion - ALWAYS back up your work. Do this before you fool around with a new configuration, and you will always have a restore point to start from if something gets hosed - and we've all done it.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.