Yaesu receiver FRG 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevesjerry

Hello. Just purchased a Yaesu FRG 7 receiver today, but sensitivity is low. Radio is very clean.
Can someone guide me to a trusted person that repairs these units?
Appreciate and welcome any suggestions.
Best regards,
Jerry

majoco

Stirrer
Are you sure it's not working properly? What type of antenna have you connected and to which terminal? Do you know how to tune it properly, it's not just a one-knob setup. Usually very good reliable little radios.
Here's a script I wrote for another user - now I see you have asked the same question on that forum!
Ok, let's start with the front panel - I'm going to refer to the pics in the owners handbook. Most of the controls are self-explanatory such as the power and the volume controls. On the left hand side two knobs and the preselector dial. I'm also assuming you have some kind of longwire antenna connected into the "BC" connector on the back. The preselector dial has four illuminated scales on it which correspond to the 4-way switch at the bottom - put the switch in the "0.5 to 1.6" position and you should see the bottom scale light up. You need to know the frequency of a local AM radio station - turn the preselect knob until the scale shows approximately that frequency.
Now the MHz knob and it's dial. On the dial you will see a series of spiral squares with a number underneath and to the right of that a "Lock" indicator - as you slowly turn the MHz control the lock indicator glows and goes out. Turn the MHz knob to show the red line over the "0" or the "1" depending on the frequency of your AM station - 550kHz to 1MHz then tune to "0", 1MHz to 1.710MHz then tune to "1" then very carefully turn the MHz knob until the lock light goes out but the red pointer stays within the square. Now turn the big tuning knob to the kHz of your station - so if it is 1210kHz then just tune to 210.
Right - nearly there! Put the two switches "Att" and "Tone" to the centre position, the "Mode" switch" to "AM", The "Fine" knob to the centre. Turn up the volume control and you should be hearing something of your AM station. Now a bit of fine tuning - turn the preselector knob to peak the "S" meter - the needle move to the right, do the same with the MHZ knob but don't let the "lock' light come on and finally tune the main knob for maximum signal on the "S" meter. You can move the "Dial Set" little knob to exactly sit on the dial frequency.
So now if you tune the main knob up and down you will hear other stations but they won't be as loud - just peak the signal on the preselector knob for best reception.
It's the same procedure for all the broadcast bands but you have to know where they are. I have attached my handy chart of all the bands, not just for broadcast. Best reception of shortwave bands is in the evening and later - you'll have to put a link on the back antenna sockets between BC and SW.... have fun!

tamasp

Are you sure it's not working properly? What type of antenna have you connected and to which terminal? Do you know how to tune it properly, it's not just a one-knob setup. Usually very good reliable little radios.
Here's a script I wrote for another user - now I see you have asked the same question on that forum!
Majoco what do you mean “ you'll have to put a link on the back antenna sockets between BC and SW.... have fun!“ I have the frg7 bought but there is nothing on the back en with mij AOR active indoor antenna my receive is poor. Do you have a picture of the link so that i can make one. Thanks

majoco

Stirrer
Two red terminals on the back panel marked "SW1" and "BC" - join them together with a bit of wire, paper clip, anything. Push the top of the terminal in to expose the hole to put the wire in and then release.

Attachments

• DSCF1356 sml.jpg
    DSCF1356 sml.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 151
Status
Not open for further replies.