Scanner batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarge47

I have a scanner that I would like to use rechargeable batteries in. I have a new 4 hole charger with 4 new rechargeable AAs. My charged AAs fresh out of the charger voltage check from 1.29 to 1.37 volts. I install them into the yellow holder and in 15 seconds the low battery dings go off. Then I install non recharge AAs and it will run great for hours.
What do Yall reckon is wrong ?
Thanks, Sarge

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Check your radio for a switch or setting that tells it what type of battery you are using. Typical two or four battery chargers are not the best choice. Better chargers have individual slot that measures the battery individually and also can condition batteries. New batteries take several cycles before they reach full capacity.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Make and model of scanner? Newer scanners will have a built-in user software setting that will let you select the correct type of battery in use. Configuring this will impact the voltage level at which you'll start getting a low-battery alert. Alkaline batteries have different discharge characteristics than NIMH rechargeables. It's important that your radio be able to tell the difference.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I own the PRO-652, which is the Whistler version of the GRE-built PRO-106. Any programming software will allow you to select the battery type. Or manually, at least on the PRO-652, press PGM, GLOB, scroll down to Battery and select the battery type.

troymail

Silent Key
I own the PRO-652, which is the Whistler version of the GRE-built PRO-106. Any programming software will allow you to select the battery type. Or manually, at least on the PRO-652, press PGM, GLOB, scroll down to Battery and select the battery type.

With a set of good, fully charged batteries, that setting shouldn't really matter for using the batteries to listen - as far as I know. That has more to do with charging and levels. If the batteries are good and fully charged, that setting shouldn't result in the radio shutting down 15 seconds after turning the radio on regardless of setting.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
That setting can have a great deal to do with battery life. Four alkaline batteries start out at 6 volts or slightly higher and have a different discharge curve than rechargeables. The NmH batteries start around 5+ volts and have a flatter discharge curve. If the setting is for regular batteries, the scanner will detect that the batteries are running down and give you a warning. I have the Pro 106, and the setting is in the software with ARC 500 under Global Settings, Miscellaneous.

troymail

Silent Key
That setting can have a great deal to do with battery life. Four alkaline batteries start out at 6 volts or slightly higher and have a different discharge curve than rechargeables. The NmH batteries start around 5+ volts and have a flatter discharge curve. If the setting is for regular batteries, the scanner will detect that the batteries are running down and give you a warning. I have the Pro 106, and the setting is in the software with ARC 500 under Global Settings, Miscellaneous.

I get that but it shouldn't result in the low battery alarm 15 seconds after turning the radio on with fully charged batteries....

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Not if it isn't set for the correct battery type. If you look in ARC500 Global Settings, Expert, you will see settings for the different batteries. If these are incorrect then the battery warning may not work correctly. I had to tweak these with my Pro 18 as the factory settings gave inaccurate readings.

renaldow

I think this thread is a good example of the issues some rechargeables face. Not all batteries are equal, and not all chargers are either. They can fluxuate in capacity and discharge. And modern electronics aren't like the old transistor radios that are forgiving when it come to power. Some digital tuners and displays expect a certain charge there and if it varies, it can fail.

I can understand wanting to use rechargeable batteries for things like radios, as well as the environment. But radios are the one thing I won't use them for. They can be finnicky. I'll spend a bit more and be a bit wasteful to use regular batteries. I buy AA, AAA and D's in bulk from Amazon for very little. Walgreen's store brand is also good I've found.

Off the top of my head, I think a 100 pack of AA's at Amazon is $24, 100 pack of AAA's like $20, and a 12 pack of D's is about $10-12. My limited testing has shown these to be as good as any other alkaline on the market.

Just food for thought. I have radios I like to DX on, so I want a battery that's not going to interfere with reception and will be reliable. I just haven't found a rechargeable that fits that bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.