First day with WS1040 device not switching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrical-EE

I never used a scanner before. It is the first time I got introduced to it. Installed the rechargeable batteries as the manual says, trying to arrange the squelch control but the device is not getting on. it switched on for a while but is now shut down?

DJ11DLN

Try different batteries or an external adapter, it sounds like they don't have enough zap to turn it on and keep it on. If you're trying to charge them with the 1040 you should be aware that you only get about 14 mA, thanks to California safety regs. Get an external charger, MaHa or equivalent, and you'll be a lot happier.

But first make sure the scanner isn't defective...get reliable power to it.

Electrical-EE

Thanks for reply. One last question.
The scanner looks good. it switched on for a while but then flash away. I have an old adapter which came with a video game. But its amps rating is 0.9 A. As official documents say it needs at least 400 mA +. However, I can't find the upper limit? Will 0.9 A be okay for it?

troymail

Silent Key
The scanner looks good. it switched on for a while but then flash away. I have an old adapter which came with a video game. But its amps rating is 0.9 A. As official documents say it needs at least 400 mA +. However, I can't find the upper limit? Will 0.9 A be okay for it?

Ooooooooo....whoa. If you have a new radio and are having issues, DO NOT use a power supply that isn't specifically designed for the radio! You're just backing yourself further into a corner.

A good/new set of brand name AA batteries should work fine - if not, something needs repaired.

If under warranty or it can be return for a replacement, do that.

Last edited:

DJ11DLN

Ooooooooo....whoa. If you have a new radio and are having issues, DO NOT use a power supply that isn't specifically designed for the radio! You're just backing yourself further into a corner.

A good/new set of brand name AA batteries should work fine - if not, something needs repaired.

If under warranty or it can be return for a replacement, do that.
X2 on all of this.

And just for the record, there is no "upper limit" on AC adapter amperage...the radio will only use what it needs. But don't try it until you try some known-good batteries.

bob550

Premium Subscriber

0.9 A is 900 mA, and that would work fine. As DJ11DLN stated, your scanner will only take what current it needs to operate. My RadioShack PRO-651 is the same scanner as your Whistler. The radio will accept alkaline batteries as well as rechargeable. I'd try using alkaline's just to verify the scanner's operation. If you do decide to use rechargeables however, the recommendation is to recharge them in an external charger, not in the scanner.

Electrical-EE

Solved it

Thanks, everybody for the support. the 0.9 Amps adapter solved it.
@Troymail I will be visiting the provider for replacement of original charger. Thanks for your sincere suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.