Old Regency ACT R 106 only NOAA

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFECROSLEY

Just joined today as I just got my first scanner yesterday. It is the old Regency ACT R 106 model. I am able to receive the local NOAA weather broadcast on the last/most furthest right indicator only. The other nine produce nothing other than the squelch noise(?). Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help suggested.

MFD4305

We'll Need More Info . . .

Good morning, and Happy Easter.

First, your ACT R 106 is a crystal-controlled scanner. Do you know what frequencies the installed crystals [if there are, in fact, crystals installed in slots 1 - 9] are for?

Then, this scanner will receive conventional, analog transmissions only; so if you're interested in trunked and/or digital systems, I'm afraid this scanner won't do it for you.

Finally, you'd probably get more useful suggestions about whether there is anything local which your scanner can receive if this post were in the Ohio Forum. You can ask the Moderator to move the thread there by clicking the red and white triangle in the upper right corner.

Welcome to the hobby and to RadioReference! I hope you get to do some interesting monitoring soon.

RFECROSLEY

Thank you mfd 4305

Good afternoon and Happy Easter to you too. He is Risen! Thanks for the great advice.

Yes there 10 silver rectangular crystals installed. Only three have numbers on the top surface. Do I pull them out to determine the frequency? I am truly a novice. Never did anything with cbs, radios or scanners before. Just trying put something together so I can interested an 8 eight year old.

I will ask moderator to move it.

BigbooTAY!

Good morning, and Happy Easter.

First, your ACT R 106 is a crystal-controlled scanner. Do you know what frequencies the installed crystals [if there are, in fact, crystals installed in slots 1 - 9] are for?

Then, this scanner will receive conventional, analog transmissions only; so if you're interested in trunked and/or digital systems, I'm afraid this scanner won't do it for you.

Finally, you'd probably get more useful suggestions about whether there is anything local which your scanner can receive if this post were in the Ohio Forum. You can ask the Moderator to move the thread there by clicking the red and white triangle in the upper right corner.

Welcome to the hobby and to RadioReference! I hope you get to do some interesting monitoring soon.

Attachments

• B B 01.jpg
    B B 01.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 253

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Since the OP is a New User and his questions are somewhat general regarding the use of the radio, let's leave this thread here for now. If the OP has questions about what he can receive in his area on VHF Low, VHF High, and UHF with an analog scanner, he can ask that question in the Ohio forum.

BTW, these old analog scanners are good for receiving the railroad frequencies in the 160-161 MHz range. Those freqs for Ohio can be found here: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=1165

MFD4305

I Wonder ?

I wonder if anyone else caught our shared admiration of Buckaroo?

Unfortunately, I'm lost regarding how to determine what frequency a given crystal is for. Back when I had my crystal scanners I would go to Radio Shack [remember those, too?], tell the clerk what frequency I wanted to receive, and he [not sexist - all RS employees were male back then . . .] would open a little plastic case and give me the correct crystal. I recall that they all had numbers on them, but my recollection is that I couldn't relate the imprinted numbers to frequency.

Sorry that I can't help more. Maybe another member with more technical savvy can jump in now.

a29zuk

Some, but not all, will have the frequency stamped on the side.
He would have to pull the crystals out to see if they are stamped, unless they are mounted far enough apart.
Also, someone can correct me if I'm wrong, different manufactures used one of two different IF frequencies, i.e. so you couldn't use a Bearcat crystal in a Regency scanner. This could be the number stamped on the top....this is jogging my memory, too. 40 years goes by too fast:)

Jim

Sent from my standard laptop with a standard keyboard.

Last edited:

N9RMA

a29uzk...You are correct Regency had a 10.7 IF and Bearcat was 10.8 or vice-versa Bob N9RMA

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Here is the manual for the scanner. It has programming pins to set the band (VHF-Lo, VHF-Hi, UHF) and the crystal formula depends on the band setting. Most scanner crystals have the channel frequency marked on them, but sometimes just the crystal frequency.
http://www.n4mw.com/Regency/actr106.pdf

73 Eric

a29zuk

Heck, I was going to google it, but I figured someone here would have a better memory than I have!

Jim

Sent from my standard laptop with a standard keyboard.

bb911

I owned that very scanner. A good one. Regarding crystals: I had about 30 at one point in time. Some had the freq. stamped into the metal case, while others were stamped on with ink. Your crystals may include some that were ink stamped but the ink has worn off.

I live in a large metro area near L.A., CA -- and that scanner would still be usable to monitor the CHP, USFS, Cal Fire, and more.

RFECROSLEY

I want to thank all the members for their contributions to solving my issues. What a great introduction to this radio group/family.

Status
Not open for further replies.