Yaesu vx6r - Tone and Offsets - + issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

socalht

Ok.

I've reset my radio to factory settings, and for some reason, I still have frequencies with "pre-set" Offsets + or -.

146.400 through 146.000 (-)
145.500 through 145.100 (-)
146.600 through 147.000 (-)

147.000 through 147.400 (+)
444.995 through 440.000 (+)

And so on. I'm sure there's more.

Another issue: I added 146.520 to my memory, but when programming it already had the (T) Tone. So I programmed it into the memory, remove the (T) and saved it.

Now a handful of already saved memories have the (T), noaa, fsr/gmrs etc., that never had (T) before, and I have to manually remove them one by one.

What's going on?

Kind regards

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Totally weird! I have owned several Yaesu HT's and all would revert back to a bare-bones configuration after a factory reset.

I just reviewed the Reset Procedure for the VX6R and I see that a certain key has to be pressed to confirm the reset - pressing any other key cancels the reset. Is it possible that you could have canceled the reset process by mistake?

- John AC4JK

socalht

John

I guess there's a possibility, but I was pretty focused on pressing just the correct keys (F/w, and Mode, (0), and V/M keys). It then prompts me to F/W to continue with the reset.

Totally weird! I have owned several Yaesu HT's and all would revert back to a bare-bones configuration after a factory reset.

I just reviewed the Reset Procedure for the VX6R and I see that a certain key has to be pressed to confirm the reset - pressing any other key cancels the reset. Is it possible that you could have cancelled the reset process by mistake?

- John AC4JK

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
socalht,
I can’t recall the name of the modification that allows the radio to transmit on expanded range of frequencies. I’ve heard radio behavior changes in areas not expected. Is your radio stock?

Mike

socalht

No.. mars/cap. Shoot, this my the issue?

socalht,
I can’t recall the name of the modification that allows the radio to transmit on expanded range of frequencies. I’ve heard radio behavior changes in areas not expected. Is your radio stock?

Mike

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Never heard of the vz6R so assume it is the VX-6R. The problem with offsets have been discussed under the Amateur Radio equipment thread. RTFM. Have to remove the AUTO from OFFSETS. Didn't review yours close enough but are they not the AUTO offsets? And if have T set in VFO, have to turn it off if don't want it to be programmed?

socalht

I had to manually remove all the (T) from the memories list, not a big deal. That worked.

So I found the APS Automatic Repeater Shift (#1) (On/Off) to try to remove all the random (-) or (+) in vfo mode, and that didn't seem to work.

This isn't a huge deal, but i'd like to have the option not to have these.

I'll check out the thread. Thanks.

Never heard of the vz6R so assume it is the VX-6R. The problem with offsets have been discussed under the Amateur Radio equipment thread. RTFM. Have to remove the AUTO from OFFSETS. Didn't review yours close enough but are they not the AUTO offsets? And if have T set in VFO, have to turn it off if don't want it to be programmed?

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
No.. mars/cap. Shoot, this my the issue?

"mars/cap mod", yes that's the one I couldn't recall. I'm not saying for sure that's the problem, but a lead to follow on a Google search as well as robertmac's post.

VX-6 was my first HT many years ago so I followed many of the posts about the radio. As I saw posts about modification to the radio that varied from software hacks to solder pad jumper changes the results usually achieved the desired frequency changes with other changes not expected. As I was not interested in making the modification I only followed in a casual manner and specific details have vanished on the wind so to speak.

Good Luck,
Mike

socalht

Ok, so update.

#4 ARS Automatic Repeater Shift didn't remove the unwanted (-) in the listed frequencies, I needed to go to #51 RPT Repeater Shift Direction and change to SMP in each band to remove the unwanted (-) (+).

So far, everything is working perfectly.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Ok, so update.

#4 ARS Automatic Repeater Shift didn't remove the unwanted (-) in the listed frequencies, I needed to go to #51 RPT Repeater Shift Direction and change to SMP in each band to remove the unwanted (-) (+).

So far, everything is working perfectly.

Good!

Changing ARS from yes to no will not remove anything. Its about setting things up in preparation to store to memory. It might allow a QSO on a repeater frequency using VFO, but I don't recall.

Don't know if you have discovered this yet. Another everything working perfectly is no memory 'delete'. You can mask a channel to hide it, but that's all. I like to keep things clean and tidy. One reason I use programing software to program my radios and it lets me see the big picture of how the radio is programed beyond what the screen on the radio shows.

Mike

socalht

Mike

Yes, I do like everything correct, neat and tidy. That's why I hated all those random (-) (+). I found out that I can just move a memory in a better location, then override that memory with another.

So far so good on this little ht.

Brett

Good!

Changing ARS from yes to no will not remove anything. Its about setting things up in preparation to store to memory. It might allow a QSO on a repeater frequency using VFO, but I don't recall.

Don't know if you have discovered this yet. Another everything working perfectly is no memory 'delete'. You can mask a channel to hide it, but that's all. I like to keep things clean and tidy. One reason I use programing software to program my radios and it lets me see the big picture of how the radio is programed beyond what the screen on the radio shows.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.