digitally challenged

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyCat99

Premium Subscriber
Orillia Ontario Canada Fire Service went digital this week. I have never owned a digital scanner. I have 3 old Radio Shack analog scanners, so it looks like I have to invest in a new scanner capable of receiving the fire service dispatches.can anyone advise me on which scanner would be very simple to program? I do not understand much of the terminology regarding digital. thank you.

GrumpyGuard

The Whistler scanners are quite good, should be programmed via computer. The software will download directly from the RR database.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Uniden 436 and 536 have better receivers than the Whistlers, and also have GPS scanning. You tell the scanner what categories of traffic you want to hear, and the scanner gets its location from the GPS and automatically scans systems in your area. Or if you don't travel with the scanner, you can enter your postal code instead of connecting the GPS, and the scanner will use that to determine your location, and what to scan.

CrazyCat99

Premium Subscriber
thank you so much for the info jonwienke. sounds like a very simple scanner to use for someone like myself. definitely will be looking into purchasing. have a good day sir.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
They have a lot of advanced options, but are simple to get started with. The main thing is to make sure you have all the service types (categories of traffic) you are interested in turned on, and the latest database downloaded and sent to the scanner. Then enter your location or connect a GPS and you're off.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Well zipcode scanning may sound simple but keep in mind you will hear EVERYTHING in your zipcode - i.e., animal control dog-catchers, meter readers, city maintenance crews, trash trucks, etc and it all gets jumbled real fast. You will want to streamline your reception to the fire dept you want, the police dept you want - near you - and ignore all the mumbo jumbo that comes with zipcode scanning. Learn your area radio system, digital talk groups, what you want to focus on and listen to - is your area system phase 1 0r phase 2 digital? Buy a scanner that will handle the system you're in.. Be prepared to learn both the radio and your local system so that you can tune it the way you want it.

It's definitely a learning process - have fun with it!

JD
kf4anc

mciupa

Just so people are up on what the original poster wants to monitor, have a look:

Code:
157.51500 	155.23500  	XJF688  	RM	CC 4
TG 3800
SL 1	Orillia FS Disp	Fire - Pageouts 	[COLOR="Red"]DMR [/COLOR]	Fire Dispatch 
157.51500 	155.23500  	XJF688  	RM	CC 4
TG 3700
SL 1	Orillia FS TAC 1	Fire - Tactical 1 	[COLOR="red"]DMR [/COLOR]	Fire-Tac 
157.51500 	155.23500  	XFJ688  	RM	CC 4
TG 3700
SL 2	Orillia FS TAC 2	Fire - Tactical 2 	[COLOR="red"]DMR [/COLOR]	Fire-Tac

CrazyCat99

Premium Subscriber
thanks for your advise regarding zip code/postal code entry scanners. your point is well taken, however I live in a town with a population of about 30,000 and there isn't much in the way of a lot of radio traffic, which is why I have been able to get away with using analog for so long. Fire service is the only one that has gone digital. I do keep in mind though that local police(OPP) may follow suit. have a great day.

CrazyCat99

Premium Subscriber
thanks for posting this info. as everyone who has responded to me is aware. Orillia Fire was monitored on analog 157.515 which was simple and basic. I do not understand all the other technical terms shown in your post, however it is a wake up call to me that I have much to learn to continue listening .

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Well zipcode scanning may sound simple but keep in mind you will hear EVERYTHING in your zipcode - i.e., animal control dog-catchers, meter readers, city maintenance crews, trash trucks, etc and it all gets jumbled real fast.

That is only true if you turn ALL service types ON. If you turn off stuff like Public Works, Schools, Businesses, and Transportation, that will get rid of the above-mentioned clutter.

If your only interest is the local fire department, all you need turned on is Fire Dispatch, Fire-Tac, and Fire-Talk.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Status
Not open for further replies.