Super new to this and I have some questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisadafoe

I am completely new to this and I have some questions. I got a baofeng F8-HP. I have some things on there that I am able to listen to but I want to add more. However, when I look up the frequencies it just says where it says tone it just says CSQ. How do I put that in my radio? I have been using CHIRP. What do I do if the frequency I want to use doesnt have a "tone" listed? What does DMR mean?
I also want to put a lot of these police channels in the link on my scanner but have no idea where to begin...https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=173

I_am_Alpha1

Hi again,

CSQ means carrier squelch...as in no tone at all. DMR is one of the many digital formats... you can't listen to it with your BaoFeng...it will only receive analog signals. You don't need to program in a tone to receive a signal. Never, ever transmit on your radio--big time crime and they can very easily track you down.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am completely new to this and I have some questions. I got a baofeng F8-HP. I have some things on there that I am able to listen to but I want to add more. However, when I look up the frequencies it just says where it says tone it just says CSQ. How do I put that in my radio? I have been using CHIRP. What do I do if the frequency I want to use doesnt have a "tone" listed? What does DMR mean?
I also want to put a lot of these police channels in the link on my scanner but have no idea where to begin...https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=173
The system that you linked is a trunked system. Your Baofeng radio cannot receive trunked systems. Also, the frequencies used on the linked system are 800MHz. Your radio cannot receive hat frequency range, only Vhf-high (136 to 174MHz) and Uhf (400 to 530MHz).

DMR is Digital Mobile Radio. See this Wiki page. This model would not be able to receive the DMR format.

Looking at the database, Portland appears to be moving to a new P25 (digital) system. It's also in the 800MHz band, which is beyond the capabilities of the F8-HP, and is digital, which also is beyond what your Baofeng can handle.

lisadafoe

Hi again,

CSQ means carrier squelch...as in no tone at all. DMR is one of the many digital formats... you can't listen to it with your BaoFeng...it will only receive analog signals. You don't need to program in a tone to receive a signal. Never, ever transmit on your radio--big time crime and they can very easily track you down.

So how do I leave the tone section blank on chirp

Status
Not open for further replies.