• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

I need help knowing which scanners work with a Motorola smartnet type 2 system

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to radio shack and was told that a Uniden trunktracker 5 won’t pick up Motorola smartnet Tylpe 2 , I was also told that I can buy a old regular analog scanner and program it for “ low band “ ( i have no idea what low band means by the way) and it will pick up on a channel from what i am told . I thought though that i needed a trucking scanner to pick up any channel from this type of system? Please help me understand , i have one ubiden BCD325P2 digital scanner already but I want to buy a secondary cheap old scanner that will work for a Motorola smartnet type 2 system please give me suggestions, Also, please explain what low band is and the purpose for it .

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I went to radio shack and was told that a Uniden trunktracker 5 won’t pick up Motorola smartnet Tylpe 2 , I was also told that I can buy a old regular analog scanner and program it for “ low band “ ( i have no idea what low band means by the way) and it will pick up on a channel from what i am told . I thought though that i needed a trucking scanner to pick up any channel from this type of system?
Whoever told you that at Radio Shack was clueless. The latest models of Uniden scanners, as well as those from Whistler, can easily handle a Motorola Type 2 system. Is the description correct? Motorola Type 2, and not a P25 Phase II system?

Please help me understand , i have one ubiden BCD325P2 digital scanner already but I want to buy a secondary cheap old scanner that will work for a Motorola smartnet type 2 system please give me suggestions, Also, please explain what low band is and the purpose for it .
What specific system are you trying to monitor? Link to the system name in the database? Or, at least the system name, as well as the state/countyit's in? The specific system could influence what scanners you have to choose from.

I've not seen a "low band" trunked system. Troy's given you a link for a description of low band. I think that whoever you talked to at the Shack was making it up as he (or she) went, and did not actually know how to answer.

Radio Shack?

Pretty much any trunking scanner out there today will work on a Smartnet system -- the only gotcha might be that is needs to be able to handle rebanded systems (https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Rebanding)

Low band - Basic Understanding of Two-Way Radio Frequencies LOW BAND

So based off what you just sent me , low band doesn’t pick up 800mhz ?
So it won’t work for the freq I’m trying to pick up then I guess.

And can I use any analog non trunking scanner to pick up on the mot smartnet 2 ? Or will I only be able to get a channel using a trunking scanner ?

bigcam406

Thats why Radio Shack filed for bankruptcy. They're clueless. Is the Smartnet system you are trying to monitor a P25 system or analogue?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

No. Low band is generally 30-50MHz, or 25-50MHz, or some close variation of that. No where near 800MHz.

A radio that receives 30-50MHz won't do you any good on 800MHz. You'll need a radio that covers the frequency of the system you want to listen to, using the emissions they use, and whatever trunking flavor they use.

Either you misunderstood the answer, or the radio shack guy has no clue what he/she is talking about. I'd put my money on the radio shack staff being clueless, that's an age old issue with them.

And can I use any analog non trunking scanner to pick up on the mot smartnet 2 ? Or will I only be able to get a channel using a trunking scanner ?

An analog non-trunking scanner that covers the frequencies of the system you want to listen to, and only if the system is analog, will receive the individual trunk channels, however it WILL NOT follow the conversations as they hop from channel to channel.

If you want to listen to a SmartNet system, you'll want a scanner capable of doing that.

However, do be aware, before you buy one, that SmartNet and SmartZone analog systems were end-of-life'd by Motorola a while back. It's entirely possible that the system you want to listen to could switch over to a digital trunked system in the near future, in which case an analog only trunk tracking scanner will not be able to listen.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

As stated above, which specific system are you trying to monitor? That's going to determine whether an older model, analog, scanner will work or not, and which ones would not. Some of the older scanners, such as the Pro-97, would work on analog systems, but not if they had been rebanded, and required a custom table.

As bigcam noted, too many RadioShack store personnel were clueless for anything but cell phones and maybe RC toys. Their old slogan, "You've got questions, we've got answers", should have really been "You've got questions, we have blank looks". (Yes, there were a few stores that actually had at least one knowledgeable person, but those, unfortunately, were few and far between.)

No. Low band is generally 30-50MHz, or 25-50MHz, or some close variation of that. No where near 800MHz.

A radio that receives 30-50MHz won't do you any good on 800MHz. You'll need a radio that covers the frequency of the system you want to listen to, using the emissions they use, and whatever trunking flavor they use.

Either you misunderstood the answer, or the radio shack guy has no clue what he/she is talking about. I'd put my money on the radio shack staff being clueless, that's an age old issue with them.

An analog non-trunking scanner that covers the frequencies of the system you want to listen to, and only if the system is analog, will receive the individual trunk channels, however it WILL NOT follow the conversations as they hop from channel to channel.

If you want to listen to a SmartNet system, you'll want a scanner capable of doing that.

However, do be aware, before you buy one, that SmartNet and SmartZone analog systems were end-of-life'd by Motorola a while back. It's entirely possible that the system you want to listen to could switch over to a digital trunked system in the near future, in which case an analog only trunk tracking scanner will not be able to listen.

I am aware of that , thhat is why I have a digitial scanner (BCD325P2) becuase as you said the system is probably going to end and start on a new digitial system and that is exactly what is happening , the only reason I wanted a cheap old scanner is for use of right now until it does switch to the digital , I want to use my digital scanner (BCD325P2) at my house on a webservee feed and just have a cheap back up scanner for on the road so I don’t use my cellular data up . I am aware though that once the ssyatem goes to full digital I will only be able to use my BCD325P2. But there is not telling when the system will switch and they said it will switch probably around 2019 and they been saying it for years and it’s been delayed for many of years , so I was just curious if I could use a little old cheap scanner for on the road for now until the time passes when it’s fully a digitial system .

Perhaps tell us what system you are trying to monitor - that would be easier.

I am sorry I thought I told you guys the system . It’s a Motorola smartnet Type 2 and it’s in Calvert county Maryland , and it’s a 800mhz trunking system someone told me ( I’m new to all this stuff so please bare with me ) but it will be switching to digital p25 phase 2 soon , but as for now ( what other scanners can I use with this system that are cheap older models ? )

troymail

Silent Key
I am sorry I thought I told you guys the system . It’s a Motorola smartnet Type 2 and it’s in Calvert county Maryland , and it’s a 800mhz trunking system someone told me ( I’m new to all this stuff so please bare with me ) but it will be switching to digital p25 phase 2 soon , but as for now ( what other scanners can I use with this system that are cheap older models ? )

I'd go back to this resource:
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Rebanding

bigcam406

Any analogue trunking scanner with 800mhz capability should be able to receive it. Check the WIKI section on this website. Lots of info for ya

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

The Calvert County system is rebanded, and requires a rebanding friendly scanner that can accept the required custom tables.

A list of which scanners that will not work is on the Rebanding page.

There are a large number of analog scanners that will work, but many may need a firmware update. Details are also on the page linked above.

as mmckenna noted, the Moto Type II systems are end of life, and no longer supported by Motorola. The Type 2 systems in my area (DFW) have either upgraded to digital, or that conversion is in progress.

The Calvert County system is rebanded, and requires a rebanding friendly scanner that can accept the required custom tables.

A list of which scanners that will not work is on the Rebanding page.

There are a large number of analog scanners that will work, but many may need a firmware update. Details are also on the page linked above.

as mmckenna noted, the Moto Type II systems are end of life, and no longer supported by Motorola. The Type 2 systems in my area (DFW) have either upgraded to digital, or that conversion is in progress.

So your saying these scanners won’t work with Calvert county ?

Attachments

• B1D00F19-0CE1-41EF-900B-D2AA1E157A9B.jpg
    B1D00F19-0CE1-41EF-900B-D2AA1E157A9B.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 153

mule1075

Feed Provider
These scanners wont work.
RadioShack Scanners

Pro-90
Pro-91
Pro-92 (A and B versions)
Pro-93
Pro-94

Pro-95
Pro-97
Pro-2050
Pro-2051
Pro-2052

Pro-2053
Pro-2055
Pro-2066
Pro-2067

These will.

Radio Shack/GRE/Whistler

As the scanner portion of the GRE website is gone (along with many pages for the older RS models), the best place to go for updated firmware for these radios would be their respective Yahoo groups. Please see the respective wiki articles for more information.
Radio Shack Scanners

Pro-106
Pro-197

Pro-163
Pro-164

Pro-651 (should be rebanding ready out of the box)
Pro-652 (should be rebanding ready out of the box)

GRE Scanners

PSR-300
PSR-310

PSR-400
PSR-410

PSR-500
PSR-600

Whistler Scanners

WS1040

WS1065

Uniden Scanners

Uniden has issued rebanding updates for all supported scanners. See the following links for the non-DMA scanners.

BCT8 Firmware Update
BC898T Firmware Update

BC296D Firmware Update
BC796D Firmware Update

See Updating the Firmware in Uniden DMA Scanners for information on updating the Uniden DMA scanners. The BCDx96XT & BCDxxP2 series are rebanding ready out of the box, but may need to be programmed using Custom 800mhz Band Plans.

These scanners wont work.
RadioShack Scanners

Pro-90
Pro-91
Pro-92 (A and B versions)
Pro-93
Pro-94

Pro-95
Pro-97
Pro-2050
Pro-2051
Pro-2052

Pro-2053
Pro-2055
Pro-2066
Pro-2067

These will.

Radio Shack/GRE/Whistler

As the scanner portion of the GRE website is gone (along with many pages for the older RS models), the best place to go for updated firmware for these radios would be their respective Yahoo groups. Please see the respective wiki articles for more information.
Radio Shack Scanners

Pro-106
Pro-197

Pro-163
Pro-164

Pro-651 (should be rebanding ready out of the box)
Pro-652 (should be rebanding ready out of the box)

GRE Scanners

PSR-300
PSR-310

PSR-400
PSR-410

PSR-500
PSR-600

Whistler Scanners

WS1040

WS1065

Uniden Scanners

Uniden has issued rebanding updates for all supported scanners. See the following links for the non-DMA scanners.

BCT8 Firmware Update
BC898T Firmware Update

BC296D Firmware Update
BC796D Firmware Update

See Updating the Firmware in Uniden DMA Scanners for information on updating the Uniden DMA scanners. The BCDx96XT & BCDxxP2 series are rebanding ready out of the box, but may need to be programmed using Custom 800mhz Band Plans.

Okay thank you so much! All of you . You guys are big help,, I’m asuming digital trunking systems will pick up on calverts System too , since some of the PRE scanners on the list say digitial trunking , and since my digitial scanner (BCD325P2) picks up on Calvert already too

mule1075

Feed Provider
Okay thank you so much! All of you . You guys are big help,, I’m asuming digital trunking systems will pick up on calverts System too , since some of the PRE scanners on the list say digitial trunking , and since my digitial scanner (BCD325P2) picks up on Calvert already too
Yes digital scanners can.

Status
Not open for further replies.