Lost NewB here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidlee_64

I just got my first scanner. RS Pro-164. I have been trying to do as much research as possible before asking questions. So far, I have determined the radio has Boot version 1.00, and firmware v1.00. My programming cable came in today. I wanted to d/l and install the latest available firmware, v1.10. Now the problems begin. I followed the instructions to install the software for the usb cable. It acts like it is installed correctly. When I plug in the radio, the screen says **Clone Mode** and a few other lines of text. I found the message is quite normal. It doesn't appear to upload anything, and otherwise tells me to unplug the cable. I also get the same Clone Mode message with the cable not plugged into the PC at all. I thought this was a little odd. I want to update the firmware first as I have seen where a program wants firmware v1.04 installed before doing anything else.
I must admit, one thing I did learn was how to clear the radio to factory spec. The radio was programmed to the previous owner in another part of the country.
I am at a loss as to what I need to do next. I'm not quite ready to toss the radio in the dumper yet!

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Try pushing the UP or ---> button to upload the Clone or whatever your're doing. My Pro96 was like that in Clone mode. It sits there unless you actually push the up (upload) arrow.

Davidlee_64

Try pushing the UP or ---> button to upload the Clone or whatever your're doing. My Pro96 was like that in Clone mode. It sits there unless you actually push the up (upload) arrow.
Yes I did those steps. Up to upload, and #1 to send. Nothing happened that I am aware of.

I got the original manual, box, both battery holders, and the antenna with the radio, and I also d/l the manual you refer to.
Perhaps I need to install the Win97 on my PC so I at least have somewhere for any data to go. That might be an issue at the moment.

I almost wonder about the USB cable I bought off eBay. It is a clear cable, and a translucent orange box with an IC in it. It says Radio Shack on it, but I saw an identical cable for sale that the box was a different color, and said GRE on it. Otherwise all the markings were identical.

Last edited by a moderator:

Davidlee_64

It appears I was worrying for nothing. I decided what the heck, and gave it a shot at upgrading the firmware. I had also loaded the cable software on another computer running Win XP. I was able to use the supplied disk that came with the cable. I ran the updater program, and followed the instructions, and everything worked correctly. Then I hooked up to my laptop running Win 7 64 bit. Did another test, and ran firmware v1.10. All went well. First hurdle has been overcome.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Transfer cables can certainly be an issue. I had purchased a cable off ebay for my PRO-163, and while it uploaded to the scanner, it wouldn't download to the PC. In practice, that wasn't much of a handicap for me, however, as I wan't looking to upgrade the firmware, which would have required two-way communication. I've also encountered cables that wouldn't work for windows 8 or beyond. The RadioShack cables in particular, at one time would work for Win XP and Vista, but not Win 8 or later. I don't recall RS ever updating that cable to function on the newer operating systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.