Upgrading radios for construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempestv

Almost a year back, I bought 4 Midland frs radios to use for on jobsite. They have worked reasonably good for our purposes, but they aren't the most durable things, and the 3 that still work are all a bit beat up. I'd like to upgrade to a better radio. I've never had a problem with range, even with the Midland radios turned to the lowest power setting to conserve battery. A couple hundred yards is plenty for what we are using them for. I would like a little better sound quality, as well as the ability to scan several channels, so that the guy giving crane commands can be on a separate channel with the crane operator, and not clogging up the main channel, but I can still call out to the entire crew and be received by everyone. I know that a lot of the programmable radios like the Motorola cp200 can do this, but I'd like to avoid dealing with the FCC if possible. Any suggestions?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
but I'd like to avoid dealing with the FCC if possible. Any suggestions?

FRS, MURS, CB, some 900MHz radios, or push to talk cellular type services are your only legal options if you don't want to deal with the FCC.

Anything else is going to require licensing with the FCC if you want to be legal.

Tempestv

So are there any radios out there that could use any of those frequencies that would allow for scanning multiple frequencies at a time?

PACNWDude

+1 on the DTR series Motorola radios. I have used these in construction and oil spill response locations for several years now. They have about a mile range, can be set for private channels, and have loud audio while being ruggedly built.
Most of what I have used and currently use, are DTR410 model radios. These have been discontinued by Motorola, but the DTR series is a great radio. No license is required.

RadioGuy7268

Be aware that the DTR series of Digital radios have at best @ 1/4 second delay when you first key them up - until the person on the other end actually starts to hear what you're saying. Not ideal for use with a crane.

You can get a professional & pretty durable radio on a VHF MURS frequency and not deal with the FCC, but most job sites have plenty of users already on MURS. You would be competing against other users, again, not an ideal situation for critical communications.

An FCC License is going to cost you a few hundred, but it's good for 10 years. Pennies a day to operate legally on your own licensed channel that 5 other crews won't be trying to use.

I_am_Alpha1

I would take MURS over FRS everyday of the year...However, in your situation, drop all this and get a real radio system and license. Multiple channels, cranes, safety...why take the chance. There are companies you contact to get your FCC commercial license...you don't deal directly with the FCC. You just need two itinerant frequencies. Itinerant frequencies are designed just for you...low power and you use it wherever you are...not restricted to a circle like a regular, high power, commercial license. Renewals are every 10 years and much easier than the application--which is pretty easy since a company does it for you.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I would take MURS over FRS everyday of the year...

Actually in the construction trades, UHF (aka; FRS/GMRS), is likely to work better than MURS (VHF), from inside of buildings, between floors, etc. VHF tends to work better in the open terrain, road construction, fences, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.