RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > New User / Getting Started Forum

New User / Getting Started Forum - The place for new users to discuss how to get started, and generally feel safe from the rest of the rabid technical community. If you just got your first scanner, this forum is for you. Please note: Posts are only moved from this forum by OP's request only.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-25-2018, 9:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'm not sure which part of Kentucky you may be traveling to, but NXDN is used in several areas.

I agree your two best options are either the 436 or SDS100. I've seen how the SDS100 handles a pesky simulcast system and I'm satisfied by what I saw. So I'm going to be saving up for one because I travel to several areas using simulcast.

Also I recommend you have several spare SD cards. While Uniden is using more "sturdy" SD cards than originally supplied, they are like vehicle tires - eventually they will wear out from use, or certain hazards can cause a blowout. Spares allow you to continue on your journey.
Sponsored links
Old 06-02-2018, 8:37 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

From what I am reading and hearing, the SDS100 is going to be King Tut in the handheld scanner market. It has total frequency coverage (minus cellular of course), digital phase 1 & 2 with upgrades to DMR and NXDN available (this slightly ticks me off with Uniden, just put out the scanner with all modes and be done with it!) zipcode and GPS programming, SDR operating system, great visual display, and easy operability. If you want a scanner to travel with, this would be the one. I've traveled extensively with the TRX-1 and it works 'ok' but I want King Tut in my travel bag.
Old 06-02-2018, 9:14 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'd agree, IF you want a handheld, the SDS-100 is IT.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailGator911 View Post
From what I am reading and hearing, the SDS100 is going to be King Tut in the handheld scanner market. It has total frequency coverage (minus cellular of course), digital phase 1 & 2 with upgrades to DMR and NXDN available (this slightly ticks me off with Uniden, just put out the scanner with all modes and be done with it!) zipcode and GPS programming
100% the same as the BCD436HP.

I think the plus features of the SDS100 is it's claim to have better handling of simulcast systems, although this hasn't been a problem for me at my home. The color display is nice. I like the ideal of long-running time rechargeable Lithium battery packs, although I hope alternately you'll be able to still use 'AA' batteries when a changing source is not available.

Regarding the DMR & NXDN upgrades, I like that they're optional. If they were included, the scanner would cost more and some would complain having to pay extra for features they don't want or need. Yet they are available for a reasonable cost if you do.
Old 06-02-2018, 1:27 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMONITOR View Post
100% the same as the BCD436HP.
I think I left out one of the most important features - receiving simulcast systems without the distortion and dead air. So, I'd be inclined to say maybe 90% the same as the BCD436HP.

That being said, I cannot wait to read the first reviews from a simulcast listener.
Sponsored links
Old 06-03-2018, 10:42 AM
Forums Manager/Global DB Admin/Commie
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

OP decided which scanner to purchase way back in the thread. No need for this to continue.

Sorry but I don't accept PM's. Please use email instead.
Closed Thread